Retro

Started by dandelO, December 01, 2010, 12:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

This kind of reminds me of the old TG 0.x images that used to do the rounds so that's why it's called retro, nothing more.
Localised clouds with 'ray traced shadows' and RTA rendered too. The clouds follow the river through some funky new cloud masking with the terrain shaders. The river isn't as visible as I'd planned because of the angle of the light but, meh, only took a little over half an hour to render so, I might do it again later, I'm sick of it now, this is my second 'final' render since opening the project today.

Terrain is a general TG alpine fractal base. I've saved it as a .ter after generating it as a heightfield for quick rendering and, to use again, I quite like it.
Wish I'd used more soft shadow and atmosphere samples, I lowered the atmo samples a bit much for this one.

[attach=#]

Cheers for looking! :)

dandelO

The wave scale is a bit large too. Oops.

Tangled-Universe

Took me a while to find the river :) but yes, the scales are too big I'd say.
I like the retro feel of the image. I definitely know what you mean about those 0.x images.
The surfacing and bit dirty looking snow looks good.

I'm not really convinced if localised clouds would help here, since it still covers pretty much the whole image-space.
I don't see clouds following the river as well.
I'm curious how you set up your function for this as I have a different approach which will be covered in my soon to be released tutorial.

Cheers,
Martin

dandelO

Cheers, Martin.

The clouds follow the inverse of the terrain peaks and the terrain is offset downwards beforehand to make a valley, maybe the cloud layer is a bit tall to appreciate the effect. Their depth modulator mask is in the shader preview here, it's set to 0.5 to build up cloud from the layer centre, outwards(ignore the shader preview displacement, of course).
[attachimg=#]

The snow is a simple white layer, no extra displacement or anything else, just slope/alt constraints.

Cheers! :)

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

dandelO

Another one, I don't like it but I'm putting it away now, sick of re-rendering.

dhavalmistry

this is looking good....I think you should keep working on it! :)
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

dandelO

Another couple...

dandelO

Some nasty fractal patches in this one, I overlooked a colour that was unchecked.

dandelO

Trees too big, I thought.

And no more for now.

Hetzen

I like what you're doing. The trees look good imo. What does spoil it, is using the HF for your terrain. Perhaps a higher resolution in your HF map, or just use it for your clouds and leave the fractal in for the mountain, sure it will take longer to render, but it will be crisper in detail.