Terragen 2.2 isn't what I was hoping

Started by MrHooper, December 02, 2010, 02:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloMack

After reading the page on the TG2.2 release notes I would say that I am surprized how narrow the list of changes is. I was expecting the 64-bit edition myself. The release seems to address little more than clouds, shadows and lighting. If I had to place highest priority on any one new feature, it would be to add the ability to specify a spherically mapped mask for most procedural terrain parameters. Without this, you really can't design a planet with fractal detail that isn't uniformly covered by the same monotonous terrain. Science fiction is full of "desert planets", "ice planets" and "tropical forest planets" and such. But then there is Earth. It has all of the above and many more. Variety is probably the norm in the universe and not uniformity.

Oshyan

You can already apply a raster (image map) mask with spherical projection and use it to control coverage of multiple types of procedurals. Does that not address your needs?

As noted, 64 bit is coming in a future update and significant development toward that goal was done as we worked toward the 2.2 release.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

Well there you have it sports fans...just goes to show you can't please all the people all the time. This year ya get a single update (Fine update it is to don;t ya know) and what do ya know unhappy natives start coming out the woodwork, of all the lowdown, dirty, good for nothing deeds this man has ever seen, well I'll tell ya some thing for nothing I for one am might grateful for what I've got...see, but what some folks figure is that all that hard work, don't amount to a hill of beans...hang dang it.

Yip sir re, and if y'all don't mind me saying so...and if ya do so help me I'm saying it any ways, when to people work for a year like (and if you'll excuse me now, most kindly) like dogs; these no need to shoot em down like dogs, no sir.

If any of this offends, to bad, and in the words of my generation, go figure!  

AP

Quote from: Hetzen on December 04, 2010, 08:18:43 PM
At a basic level, yes. You're right. But if I wanted to simulate lower detail, I'd maybe want to create a mask in something like GeoControl or WorldMachine2, that I'd apply to the fractal landscape in TG. I'd keep the infinite relief resolution of TG in the render, but have the external erosion simulation as a mask.

It's not perfect. But we often have to pick the camera viewpoint as our guide, and work accordingly. Otherwise we'd have to deal with a lot of off screen redundant calculations.

Indeed, there is always a temporary way around the problem.  ;)

Goms

Quote from: PabloMack on December 04, 2010, 09:54:17 PM
Without this, you really can't design a planet with fractal detail that isn't uniformly covered by the same monotonous terrain.

i don't think so. i will upload a file with continents and earth-like distribution (in colors) of different landscapes later. its basically easy to get this with what we have already, just a matter of how much work you want to put in it. something like the "use y for altitude"-function combined with some fractals gets you some pretty good results.

Quote from: ChrisC on December 04, 2010, 05:33:19 PM
I think at least having the alpine shader fully pluggable would allow for faking certain types of erosion. Vue's eroded rocky mountain fractal has some interesting features as well.

hm, im not sure about this. i played with the alpine shader for some time trying to figure out what exactly it does and how i could influence it or rebuild it with another look from functions. try the alpine shader with only one octave and play around with it; its basically a voronoi with some pretty clever combinations and blendings for the next octave, but as its a voronoi not good for rocky mountains etc. but it just came to my mind that a billowy perlin as base could look good...
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

Goms

Quote from: Goms on December 05, 2010, 03:11:25 AM
i will upload a file with continents and earth-like distribution (in colors) of different landscapes later.

and there it is :)
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

PabloMack

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on December 04, 2010, 10:36:49 PM
If an[y] of this offends, to
  • bad, and in the words of my generation, go figure!
None taken. Enjoyed your way of saying things...

Henry Blewer

That planet is a good starting point Goms.
I used to do this in Lightwave. Download a spherical image map of Earth, mars, etc. This will give an idea of how to paint the landmass for your custom planet. It is easier to get the projection to fit the sphere from the example. All that was necessary after that was to draw the mountains, plains, lakes, and rivers. It takes time to do it right. The last thing is to add the displacements and further detail using fractals and/or more detail image maps.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

PabloMack

Quote from: Oshyan on December 04, 2010, 10:13:40 PM
You can already apply a raster (image map) mask with spherical projection and use it to control coverage of multiple types of procedurals. Does that not address your needs?- Oshyan

Have any of the "In Depth" sections of the user guide been completed? (Terrain, Shaders, Atmosphere, Lighting, Water, Objects, Cameras, Renderers, and Node Network)

Henry Blewer

The best one I can think of right now is Schmeerlap's Ben McDuff tutorial. http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=7733.0 It is probably the best explained and complete on the forum. I am planning on doing one soon explaining my method (madness) on terrain creation. It will include some of the functions I use, and why I am using them.

Much of the power in this program is not very well documented. I have picked up tons of information from the forum over the year or two I have been here. The best advise is to learn about the power fractal. I use them for nearly everything. Surface Layers and the distribution shader are also my favorite tools. When you are comfortable using them, start adding other nodes/shaders. The search function of the forum works well; but it really helps to be specific.

Follow Tangled-Universe, FrankB, Dune, Hetzen, Seth, Dandelo, Cypher, Ryan Archer, Oshyan, Jo, and Matt's posts. I have left out quite a few, sorry... These are the power users and some of the Planetside Staff. They have the best and most complete knowledge of the program.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Jack

im enjoying the new release very much after drama with my license key i finally got it up and running I agree 360 panorama output would be excellent but you can easily create a latlong with a few simple steps
the over all downfall of the program is lack of decent documentation for users I think planetside needs to get together with a group of experts and really knuckle down on the documentation ie video tutorials etc.

I also think planetside to keep up to speed in the market is really open up the sdk and let 3rd party devs tackle the smaller issues such as hdr output vector eps import as well as an fbx import module etc etc
so matt can work on the more important issues.

Keep up the good work planetside
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

PeterParker

Quote from: dhavalmistry on December 02, 2010, 03:33:54 PM
Well you also have to take into account that size of staff working on the program. If you are comparing to vue or something you should know that Planetside dont have as much resources as e-on might have. Hence the price is much cheaper then vue. I think you are getting a lot more then what you paid with TG2.....

no offence but if you think that jumping through hoops to get what you want is something you dont like to do then I should say WAKE UP!!....:)

I affirm 110% to dhavalmistry!!!