How good is your "CG sense"?

Started by Oshyan, December 09, 2010, 03:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Blewer

http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kadri

It was very easy to guess the Cg in the past.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh7vJ4g3Z5o
The scenes in this demo had CG where i thought they were . But i was quite surprised to see CG  were i didn't suspected.
And this is a TV show! Software and the users are so advanced that i think i can not predict the CG effects as i used to do in the past anymore.
The image sharing section here has some nice renders that many people would think as photos too.

Eee...

Ok...i failed miserably too :)

otakar

50%. Dang I got the car wrong, lulled by the background! I usually try to look for uneven patterns, like the cracked wood, but some textures can be extremely convincing. Oh well, get ready for many more fake photos :)

FrankB

I was struggling with the cobweg image first. My brother specializes on macro photography, and has a couple photos like that. But the bokeh gave it away for me. A photo lens bokeh looks different.

I also though the car was real, becauase of the backdrop. With some other images, I think some of the motifs weren't special complex enough - they could be both CG or real nowadays with no visible difference.

Anyway, nice challenge.

Cheers,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

The lighting of the car is completely off from its environment, in my opinion.
Only with reflective panels outside of the image at the right could create such (bright) light.
Also, the tires are clearly CG, especially the most left wheel in the image.

FrankB

the lighting was interesting, true. But I think that for stock photography, a model such as that car would be artificially lit by lots of light screens, soo... it could have been real in that regard.

rcallicotte

6 out of 12

Where's OB?  He's really good at these.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

jbest

Ouch!

I got 5 out of 12. Just shows how good computers can fake real images. I got the man wrong, along with ... uh ... the chair, the key, the peppers, .....
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

Marcos Silveira

I only missed one!!!!  ;D
That fucking key, hahah, it got me!!!!1 >:(

old_blaggard

I missed the chair and the kitchen, although in retrospect I'm seeing some indicators in both of them that I ignored. If you look closely at the metal on the key, fork, vase, and juicer you can tell which textures are repeating and which aren't. The car was clearly fake to me because of the overly clean tires contrasting against the systematic dirt layers around each wheel well. The portrait and the spider both were given away by bokeh, the eye by the texture of the skin and quality of the hair, and the peppers by the pattern and look of the dust on the table.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

If you say so...   ::)

Seriously, thanks for checking in.  This helps...me understand I don't know anything.  I appreciate it - putting me in my place.  LOL  I'm glad you are explaining, though this sort of thing is too much for my brain to quickly realize.  I don't know how you do it. 

Quote from: old_blaggard on December 27, 2010, 05:32:20 PM
I missed the chair and the kitchen, although in retrospect I'm seeing some indicators in both of them that I ignored. If you look closely at the metal on the key, fork, vase, and juicer you can tell which textures are repeating and which aren't. The car was clearly fake to me because of the overly clean tires contrasting against the systematic dirt layers around each wheel well. The portrait and the spider both were given away by bokeh, the eye by the texture of the skin and quality of the hair, and the peppers by the pattern and look of the dust on the table.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?