turn objects off!

Started by TheBadger, February 02, 2012, 03:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello,

I am working on a project that I have already added a ton of plant objects to. But now I need to go back to a state without objects to make color changes to the terrain.

How do I turn my objects off so that they will not render?!!!! And back on again without removing them?!!

I know this has been asked before but I could not find it, please help.

Thanks so much, and sorry for having to repeat rudimentary questions all the time.  :-\
It has been eaten.

cyphyr

Simplest way would be to highlight the object and population nodes and hit "D" on your keyboard.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

TheBadger

Yeahhhhhhhhh  :D ;)

To turn objects on and off, Select objects and click "D".

Thank you cyphyr! Sooooooooo much better now ;)
It has been eaten.

rcallicotte

"D"  Who knew?  Oh, wait.  Richard did.  THANKS Richard!!!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

jo

Hi,

It's probably worth periodically opening the Mouse and Key Settings dialog from the Help menu and having a browse. It lists all the hotkeys and mouse combinations for interacting with various parts of the UI.

I'm going to write up some docs for this over the weekend.

Regards,

Jo

Dune

Problem solved, so can I ask something else regarding objects? If you want to select a particular object from dozens, you have to doubleclick on it's crosshair to get the dialog to open. But then the object often moves a little. Is there a way to open the dialog without touching it? Rightclick doesn't directly enable choosing that object but gives them all to choose from.

jo

Hi Ulco,

Quote from: Dune on February 03, 2012, 02:49:55 AM
Problem solved, so can I ask something else regarding objects? If you want to select a particular object from dozens, you have to doubleclick on it's crosshair to get the dialog to open. But then the object often moves a little. Is there a way to open the dialog without touching it? Rightclick doesn't directly enable choosing that object but gives them all to choose from.

You can use the context menu to select the object and then open the param view for it using alt-enter (option-return on the Mac). This is also in the Mouse and Key Settings dialog as "Open param view for selected item" in the 3D Preview category :-).

Regards,

Jo

rcallicotte

Just because I didn't take the time doesn't mean something was lacking, of course.  Thanks Jo.

Quote from: jo on February 02, 2012, 05:01:57 PM
Hi,

It's probably worth periodically opening the Mouse and Key Settings dialog from the Help menu and having a browse. It lists all the hotkeys and mouse combinations for interacting with various parts of the UI.

I'm going to write up some docs for this over the weekend.

Regards,

Jo
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Dune

Excuse me for hijacking this thread and being a little dumb, but how can you tell from the context menu which object it is? I want to pick it from the 3D preview... but there's quite a row of 'm in my medieval setup when I open the context menu (about 120 or so). I haven't tried doing it, so I might really ask a foolish question...

jo

Hi Ulco,

I'm not sure about that. What I would be inclined to do is open a 3D Preview in a new window and set it to top view, then zoom out to give an overview of the town or whatever part you're working on. Then you can select the houses etc. from that without other items getting in the way as they might with a different view. I would select the house with one click and open the param view with alt-enter. You can tell which one it is from the tooltip when you mouse over the selection cross.

I'm aware of the problem with double clicking objects and movement.

Regards,

Jo

Dune

Thanks, Jo. I haven't seen any tooltip (yet, I'll check more carefully), but I must say the tooltips in other areas are often very flimsy, and only pop up at very small mouse areas. And I work with a Wacom pen, but there should be no difference I presume.
When I need to check objects I just 'fly' over the area, zoom in until quite close and pick the object. I'll experiment some more.