Some recent astronomical work...

Started by blackcat, December 15, 2010, 05:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackcat

I may not have posted these before. Most are from new online and print magazine projects...

The Great Wall of Miranda

Pluto seen from Charon

On Pluto

The shadow of Charon on Pluto

The cryogeysers of Triton

Ithaca Chasma, on Titania

Observing a volcano on Io

goldfarb

--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

Henry Blewer

I have never thought there would be wind on Triton. Your publisher will be pleased. 8)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

blackcat

Quote from: njeneb on December 15, 2010, 06:17:17 PM
I have never thought there would be wind on Triton. Your publisher will be pleased. 8)

There is actually a kind of jet stream, in fact. While the atmosphere on Triton is thin to the point of non-existence, it's enough to shear off the tops of the rising plumes at right angles. This can just barely be made out in some of the Voyager images.

blackcat

Henry Blewer

I took a look at the Terragen generated images. I like the figures added to the scenes. They really help with scale. Excellent work!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

rcallicotte

Very nice.  I especially like the first three.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

blackcat

Always responding well to flattery, here are a few more things from the Extrasolar Planets series...

HD 188753 A b (seen from a moon of the planet)

Gliese 581 c

An early version of the large Titan illustration I posted elsewhere in the forum.

Tidal pools on the early earth.

Ice spires on Callisto (the one place in the solar system that looks like a 50s SF pulp cover)

Kadri

Quote from: blackcat on December 17, 2010, 04:32:22 PM
Ice spires on Callisto (the one place in the solar system that looks like a 50s SF pulp cover)

Anyhow your work reminds me on the old SF covers in the right way. Very nice renders . I like them , Blackcat :)

sinister05

Absolutely fantastic work blackcat! Hopefully within a few months I'll be able to make something similar :)    (still working the 'create' your first scene tutorials)

blackcat

Quote from: sinister05 on December 18, 2010, 02:45:10 PM
Absolutely fantastic work blackcat! Hopefully within a few months I'll be able to make something similar :)    (still working the 'create' your first scene tutorials)

Gosh! And here I was, reluctant to post most of these because I was so much in awe of what everyone else is doing!  ;D