GI Prepass Padding

Started by RRMessiah, December 23, 2010, 10:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRMessiah

Global Illumination seams are still visible even with manipulating the GI Prepass Padding and Ray Detail Region Padding options.

I'm rendering simply two camera angles that I know produce seams. Each 90 degree FOV, each gi prepass padding set to 1. There is no difference in the seam quality. Help!  ???

Tangled-Universe

What are your GI and atmosphere settings?

RRMessiah

Atmosphere settings are default:

16 samples

GI Settings are also default:

relative detail: 2
sample quality: 2
blur: 8

both region paddings are set to 1

Tangled-Universe

Do you use "raytrace atmosphere" in the render settings?
If not, then 16 samples is perhaps too low and you should increase it to 32 or 48 and try again.

If so, then try 24 or 32. You might also try increasing AA after that, as AA affects the quality of the raytraced rendering of objects/atmosphere.

Henry Blewer

24 seems to be a good atmosphere setting for the stills I have done, with ray-raced atmosphere that is.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Matt

You probably need a higher value for GI Sample Quality. 2 is usually not enough to get consistent results. All of your other settings look good.

The few times I have tried to merge different images, GI Sample Quality 4 was usually sufficient. I think I used 6 once, but you may need to user higher. Atmosphere samples can sometimes affect consistency across boundaries, but this is unlikely to be a problem with the high amount of GI Prepass Padding you have set. (In fact I have never needed more than 0.1 for padding, but this really depends on so many things like image resolution, detail, GI relative detail, blurring etc.)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.