Just curiosity

Started by Lucio, March 21, 2007, 09:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucio

How did the first idea for TG2 came out? Where it came from? How worked the first stage of the development? I remember that the announcement of the newcoming package was made (correct me if I'm wrong) in 2004, and from that point started a very long-awaiting experience of all terragen-users ;D

It's just curiosity and questions I thought about for a long time..

Let's start the "history topic" :)

Regards,

Lucio

old_blaggard

Oshyan could probably write a paper on this :D.  In fact, he was going to at some point... *wink wink Oshyan ;)*
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

MeltingIce

Haha talk about pressure  :P

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Oshyan

Actually TG2 is really just the logical result of things Matt and some of his friends (Hugo Elias for example) have had in mind for *years*, ever since the original TG came out essentially. You can look back in the history of the Yahoo list and find Matt and Hugo both talking about displaced subdivision terrains and the like. Once Matt got to Digital Domain and was being paid full time to cook up some really fancy stuff he had the chance to realize a lot of those earlier ambitions. At digital domain he was able to get practical experience in a real-world effects pipeline and be surrounded by some of the brightest minds in the effects industry, so I'm sure that helped him solidify his earlier concepts. The "TGD" engine was the result, upon which TG2 as well as Digital Domain's "Engen" were both subsequently based.

I couldn't really say at what point Matt realized that overhauling or improving TG 0.9x to reach a 1.0 just wasn't going to get him where he wanted to go, but it must have been while he was at DD. After that it was a foregone conclusion that a "next generation" system would need to be developed.

- Oshyan

Dark Fire

Oshyan, that sort of stuff really needs to end up on Wikipedia.

Oshyan

Yes, I suppose Wikipedia if anywhere. Feel free to add what I've written here and elsewhere on the matter if you wish. I may get around to it at some point...

- Oshyan

Dark Fire

I will to that in the next few days if I have some time. It will be considered 'better' on Wikipedia if somebody other than you adds that stuff (I'm sure there's some rule against quoting yourself).

Lucio

This is a very good idea, and something about Terragen has already been written on Wiki, I've found this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terragen

edit: I haven't seen the previous link :P