Liberation of Paris

Started by rcallicotte, August 25, 2011, 07:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

To anyone who is interested, "On Aug. 25, 1944, Paris was liberated by Allied forces after four years of Nazi occupation." - NY Times (online)

I'm glad our country could be a part of liberating Paris from the Nazis and we can visit this most wonderful city any time to enjoy its beauty.  I love it and it felt like home when I was there.

Happy Liberation Day!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

FFI (Forces Francaise de l'Interieur) did the job ^^
with late backup from the Free French Army of Liberation (2eme DB) and US 4th Infantry Division.
One of the only french victories of this war.

De Gaulle and General Leclerc forced the US to come in Paris by moving their french armoured division.
US General Gerow called it treason, but Eisenhower said he won't be able to stop the french so he decided to send the 4th Infantry division ;D

oh, one funny thing : the US pressure for a white-only liberation force, so the black French troops were excluded from the triumphal return to Paris on August 25th...

FrankB

Really, Franck?
In any case, an interesting new perspective (for me).

Seth

remember Jesse Owens ?
the black winner of the Olympics in Berlin ?
he said : "Hitler didn't snub me – it was FDR who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram."
On the other hand, Hitler sent Owens a commemorative inscribed cabinet photograph of himself. (!)

the US white vs black politics was a shame.

I am glad the USA help us on this war, but I never thought it was for free ^^
They tried to stay in France after the war, to destroy our money (le Franc) to put the Dollar in place...

Anyway...

FrankB

Quote from: Seth on August 25, 2011, 08:24:22 AM
I am glad the USA help us on this war, but I never thought it was for free ^^
They tried to stay in France after the war, to destroy our money (le Franc) to put the Dollar in place...

Anyway...

In the end the Euro did the job, and not only to the Franc :)

Is it good or bad? I don't know I am not against the Euro, I think it's a good idea. I'm just against pulling in each and everyone into the Euro zone who can't hide fast enough, regardless of whether they are worth considering or not (stable household, GDP etc..).

Sorry Calico, I'm drifting off.

Seth

prices increased by 1.5 with the Euro...
Euro was a good idea... was...

anyway, back on the topic ! ^^

a shame I am not in Paris today.

Thanks for the celebration post calico !!!

rcallicotte

LOL 

It was a good thing, no matter how it happened...and I'll never forget standing on the Normandy shore looking up at what would have been there back then when many U.S. soldiers spilled their blood to liberate France and the world from tyranny.  However we see it, that was courage and I'm grateful it happened.  France is a lovely country with many beautiful people.

If I could, I would live there.

FrankB

Quote from: calico on August 25, 2011, 09:14:02 AM
If I could, I would live there.

But not in Paris. Ask Franck. Well it depends on what you like.
I would try a village in the Provence or south at the Cote D'azur. "Nice" maybe.

Seth

Don't get me wrong, Paris is a beautiful city... full of stupid cunts ! ;D

rcallicotte

I immediately felt at home when I was in France...everywhere, including Paris.

Franck - what has some woman gone and done?  Brush yourself off and...oh, well.  Don't look to me for advice.   :D

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Seth on August 25, 2011, 08:35:22 AM
prices increased by 1.5 with the Euro...
Euro was a good idea... was...

anyway, back on the topic ! ^^

a shame I am not in Paris today.

Thanks for the celebration post calico !!!

"Just 1.5"? :)

The exchange rate for Guilders (GLD) to Euro's was 1 Euro = 2.20371 GLD when the Euro was introduced.
Prices were in some cases literally changed from GLD to Euro's 1:1. So initially some things were already 2.2 times more expensive.
Loans/wages were reduced 2.2-2.5 times.
Some prices weren't 1:1 but say 1:0.7 (so just 1.5 times more expensive) but after a couple of years already 1:1.1 or 1:1.2, so almost 2.5 times more expensive.
In some businesses, like bars, the price increase is almost 2.75 times already and politicians keep denying it and point inflation as the guilty factor. Sure!

Same goes for fuel/gas prices. They should be controlled by the oil-price, but it NEVER happens. Added taxes and other added fees causes the high prices they explain.
But all those taxes and added fees are based as a fraction over the oil-price. So 50% cheaper oil is automatically 50% less tax and added fees since these are a fixed percentage of the crude oil-price, thus mathematically 50% cheaper fuel/gas.
Just somehow this isn't happening in reality ;)
But government will never point fingers at the financial world and banks, which drive up crude oil prices by speculation, because they're head deep in the banks asses ;)

End of rant lol ;D

AP

Quote from: Seth on August 25, 2011, 09:23:13 AM
Don't get me wrong, Paris is a beautiful city... full of stupid cunts ! ;D

Now that is funny to hear a frenchman say that but then again i think there are a lot of chowder heads in southern california and i live here.     ;D

Henry Blewer

Nearly everyone where I live is crazy. Me too! :-X
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T