Universal Object Replacement

Started by rosoule, January 08, 2011, 07:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosoule

Me again.
I want to create the same scene in different seasons. I am using the Generic Pine tgo's. I made the  winter scene using the snow-covered tree files and assumed I could select the summer tgo's, repopulate the scene and render the scene as summer.
I searched the forum without much luck. Was this a bug discussed at one time? How do I make a universal object replacement.

I got no error messages at any time.

Henry Blewer

I think replacing the object would work. I would not recalculate the population, as you want the locations to remain the same.

I sometimes use cubes instead of the actual object. It seems to make scaling and the test render/s faster.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Tangled-Universe

If you have object "A" for say the summer and want to use object "B" for the winter then:

Go to the object maker of population "A" and change the object filename (.tgo or .obj) to the name of object "B".

Like Henry said, you shouldn't recalculate the population in order to keep the positions the same.

dandelO

You'd be best creating a new object maker inside the population. Just changing the filename for the original object maker will not change the attached shaders in the parts shader inside from the winter ones, the old ones are still used if you only change the file path.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: dandelO on January 09, 2011, 10:02:26 AM
You'd be best creating a new object maker inside the population. Just changing the filename for the original object maker will not change the attached shaders in the parts shader inside from the winter ones, the old ones are still used if you only change the file path.

Oh really? That's a bummer. Hmmm...I will check this out, because I think this would need a fix then. Thanks :)

rosoule

That's great, tangled universe. Will you post to this thread when it's fixed or a sticky note?

Henry Blewer

That is a bummer. But that's one of the reasons I really like Dandelo's Maples; just attach the correct leaves. 8)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: rosoule on January 09, 2011, 12:33:40 PM
That's great, tangled universe. Will you post to this thread when it's fixed or a sticky note?

I'm afraid you'll notice once it is fixed as I can't say anything about what is being fixed/will be fixed etc, due to NDA.
It's not a guarantee it will be fixed, haven't discussed it yet and I'm not sure myself if it should be considered as a bug.
In a way you could consider it "expected behaviour". A matter of how you look at it.
We'll see!

Cheers,
Martin

jo

Hi,

I'm not sure if this will work, but try:

1) Loading the new model as an object
2) Pointing the Object make param of your population at the new object
3) Save the file
4) Quit TG2
5) Restart TG2 and open the file again.

I think that should cause the population to be set up with the new model.

You could probably also duplicate your existing population and do this, so you don't mess with it when you make the changes. Just disable it when you want to render the new one.

Regards,

Jo

dandelO

I think as soon as you save the file, you also save the parts shader... Off to try...

*EDIT: Nope.

*EDIT: Actually, I wasn't doing it correctly. It would work that way but maybe I'm confused. If you load a new object anyway and reroute the pop' node, there's no need to save and restart because the new object already has the new shaders inside, saving should be enough.

Oshyan

I'm not sure I would technically consider it a bug with the way TG2 currently handles objects. But granted this kind of functionality should be more clear and easy to do.

- Oshyan

rosoule

I am posting the finished image file here since this is the forum I've discussed it in. I will work through the object replacement with all of the great suggestions.
Any comments on the image appreciated. I might change the relative sizes of the trees to the cottage.
Shout outs for the cottage and tree models.

rosoule

Truth in Imaging: I added the chimney smoke post-process.

Matt

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 09, 2011, 10:37:02 AM
Quote from: dandelO on January 09, 2011, 10:02:26 AM

Oh really? That's a bummer. Hmmm...I will check this out, because I think this would need a fix then. Thanks :)

There are no plans to "fix" this; it works this way by design. If you want to replace an object with another that has different shader assignments, you should create a separate node. Your population node can stay the same, you only need to provide a new object reader node.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.