Is hiding clouds possible?

Started by treddie, January 05, 2011, 12:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I'll have a look, but the colors don't work I'd say. They'll translate in shades of gray in the mask. Black is no cloud in that area, white is cloud, shades in between are the transition. Test this; enter two numbers; 10000 far and 9900 near (white as near color, black is far color), and you'll have an abrupt end of your cloud layer at around 10000m from camera.

Dune

I don't know if your cloud and detail settings were on purpose, but I wouldn't apply them as they were. So I modified your file somewhat to show what I mean. Good luck with it...

treddie

OK...NOW I think I have it!  I see now that the distance shader has to be placed as the input to the density fractal.  And pure white is the mask, not pure black.  I had it reversed.  I do that all the time with mask colors regardless of the program...get them swapped in my head.

Here is a further modification based on your file, Dune.  What I did was use 2 distance shaders, one to mask the foreground area, and one to mask the background area, resulting in just a "notch" area showing through between them.  But I had to turn off the black color for the distance shader in question.  THIS is what I was ultimately after...control of clouds within any desired range.

The only confusing part now is why let the far and near colors be anything but black or white?  The only conclusion I can come to is that it gives you complete control over what frequencies you are masking, but I am not convinced of that.

Matt

Because masking is only one of many possible uses of the Distance Shader. But the defaults are black and white for masking.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

treddie

DoH!  Dune mentioned that further back, too.  When you mentioned it, it triggered my memory.  Thanks!