Antartic Ice Flow

Started by sshank, March 25, 2007, 04:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sshank

Brrrr....... My first use of two different heightfields.

SteveS

[attach=#]

Mavcat

Foreground rocks look more smooth as the bg rock,and maybe try making the water a bit more white,so it looks like there is ice in it :) the sky is well done :)

rcallicotte

How did you get the snow like that?  Very neat.  I like it, though the blocks in the water lack the necessary transparency, which will come later (of course).  Nice job.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

The foreground ice chunks have some pretty severe fractal lines, but I like the large shelf.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

sshank

Thanks for the comments. My original thinking was to have the iceberg more eroded than the glacier, but now agree it looked strange. Here's what I've done to the original:

1. Made the iceberg less smooth and flat.
2. Discovered that I can add a surface shader to the water to
     - change the color of the water
     - add a tiny bit of luminosity to make it seem clearer
     - add a fractal function to the color distribution to make the iceberg appear to be visible under the water
3. Added more contrast for clarity and to make the water look colder

This forum continues to push me to find innovative ways to find the realism I'm looking for in using TG2. Thanks to all.

SteveS

[attachthumb=#]

VorpalBlade

The iceberg looks more like it just came off the glacier. If it was in open sea I think the smoother surface might be more apt.

You might want to try getting more vertically lineal fractures on the glacier face rather than the chaotic bumpiness.  Something that represents chunks of ice falling off and maybe some cragginess on the top surface near the edge. Ice has a crystalline structure so it usually has a lot of strait edges and flat faces.

Nice improvement. Is that translucent water or a surface shader?

sshank

VorpalBlade,

Great technical information. I'm not sure yet how I'd get the vertical striations, but it's a good challenge.

As for the water, see the attached pic. In the surface layer, I added just a little luminosity to clarify the water. To get the patches of light blue (implying white ice below the water), I used Perlin Billow in the Power fractal shader and then worked with the various scale settings and color to get large patches of the effect.

SteveS

[attachthumb=#]

VorpalBlade

I haven't really messed around with water settings yet. Does water shader have transparency? If not, that is a really clever work around. Looks icy cold.

As far as the technical solutions for my suggestions, I don't have a clue yet how or if they could be done. I'm probably twenty steps behind you in TG2 knowledge. If you hit a wall, you may want to try out World Machine, I know for a fact you can make it happen there and import the height map.

Keep the images coming. I love seeing innovative projects progressing. It gives me motivation and ideas.