Simple Sand Shader

Started by dandelO, January 26, 2011, 03:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Hi Martin,

I've tried to add sparkles by adding the camera; but, no sparkles. Opened the camera to three - yet, no sparkles. Any suggestions?

Bob

rosoule

Thanks for the great file.

dandelO

Hi, Bob.

In the case of sparkles for this layer, it really relies on a lightsource directly in front of the camera as the 'sparkles' are actually just reflective shader spots of Perlin noise.
If you enable the sparkle layer, make sure your sun(or a separate lightsource) is directly in front of the camera. If it disappears out of the view it will only reflect as far as the spread of the reflective shader allows. If the light is behind, or out of view of the camera FOV, there's no light to be reflected.

Imagine the surface as if it were a lake object with a water shader, there will be reflection spread(of the sun's highlights) when the sun is in front and very little if it's out of view.

An awkward and not very handy method of creating sparkles but I can't figure out a decent other way to make glinting otherwise. :)

choronr

Quote from: dandelO on March 31, 2011, 11:48:24 AM
Hi, Bob.

In the case of sparkles for this layer, it really relies on a lightsource directly in front of the camera as the 'sparkles' are actually just reflective shader spots of Perlin noise.
If you enable the sparkle layer, make sure your sun(or a separate lightsource) is directly in front of the camera. If it disappears out of the view it will only reflect as far as the spread of the reflective shader allows. If the light is behind, or out of view of the camera FOV, there's no light to be reflected.

Imagine the surface as if it were a lake object with a water shader, there will be reflection spread(of the sun's highlights) when the sun is in front and very little if it's out of view.

An awkward and not very handy method of creating sparkles but I can't figure out a decent other way to make glinting otherwise. :)
Thank you Martin for getting back regarding the subject. I've been working on a finicky image during the past week. From start to current work, it continues to be a challenge. One element lacking was the enhancement of the sand. I will try your suggestions and see how well it will approve the overall appearance. Appreciate your advice.

Bob

max_thehitman

That looks great, SUPERB!
Thank you DandelO

DannyG

Thanks Martin just seen this link posted @ TN's by otakar. Very nice

Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

TheBadger

Hello Martin.

Could you please tell me how to change the color of the sand. I looked through the clip file, but could not see where you told it what color to be.

Great stuff by the way.
It has been eaten.

dandelO

The sand colours are in the 3 'fake sand shaders', in the internal network of the main node.
Use the colour tab of 'fake sand shader 1, 2 and 3'. Or, add your own shaders to the 'surface shader' input of those same nodes. Each of those nodes are just small fake stones shaders.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

wicked_vinny

where is the link to download this shader file...??

Matt

It looks like it was removed later.  :(

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

But sand is very easy to make; just take one or two small (0.005) fake stone shaders (stacked or combined in a merge shader [you can add a bigger grain as well], masked, whatever) and give them some sandy colors.

TheBadger

DandelO removes older files from time to time. He adds new ones, just not around much lately.
He also has his own website that he keeps alive, and has many of his older files there.
It has been eaten.

dandelO

Quote from: TheBadger on August 30, 2015, 11:48:23 PM
DandelO removes older files from time to time...

Or:
Some older posts have missing files because he removed them in a rage-quit one time. People do come across these threads from time to time. ;)

Vinny, the sand was made pretty much like Dune said, 2 or 3 very tiny and dense Fake Stones Shaders combined and set to the Child Input of a Surface Layer.

wicked_vinny

Quote from: dandelO on August 31, 2015, 12:42:04 AM
Quote from: TheBadger on August 30, 2015, 11:48:23 PM
DandelO removes older files from time to time...

Or:
Some older posts have missing files because he removed them in a rage-quit one time. People do come across these threads from time to time. ;)

Vinny, the sand was made pretty much like Dune said, 2 or 3 very tiny and dense Fake Stones Shaders combined and set to the Child Input of a Surface Layer.

Thanx I'll try that...