Using simple shape shaders

Started by rosoule, January 26, 2011, 06:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosoule

I am using a simple shape shader to control the placement of a population.
When I enable the shape shader and try to populate no objects appear. I imagine the "displacement" settings in the shape shader window enable the shader to match the terrain much like the "sit on terrain" option in the Population settings.
I read posts about simple shape shaders and tried various settings. I plugged in a "compute normal" in the input of the shape shader, etc.
Can someone explain, with a screen shot, what the displacement settings should be and where a "compute normal" goes in the Node Network"?
Thanks.

jo

Hi,

The displacement settings don't make the shape shader sit on the terrain. They displace the terrain.

Use the shape shader in colour mode to control a population. I've attached a screenshot showing a shape shader set to a circle to control a population, which you can see in the preview. The shape shader is connected to the population's Density shader param.

The shape shader basically applies its effect as if it were projected on to the XZ plane, or in other words "top down" or in plan view. The Y coordinate in the position param doesn't really do anything.

Regards,

Jo

rosoule