Vista Atmosphere Issue

Started by Torkain, December 23, 2006, 02:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torkain

I'm not sure what exactly was causing this error, but I had no idea it was really an error until just now. I was running Vista RC2 (x86 version) and the preview pane of T2D never displayed the atmosphere properly. It was always just a random mess of polygons (half of them missing) that never accurately displayed what was going on. I would always have to render the scene to see what the atmosphere looked like.

I just switched back to XP last night because nVidia's lack of SLI support in Vista was getting really old. When I loaded up T2D just now, I saw the atmosphere display perfectly fine. I'm guessing it was Vista+T2D as I can't see why it would have been an issue with the graphic card driver, everything else displayed perfectly fine; only the atmosphere was messed up.

Is anyone else running Vista RC2 that was running into that problem? Or anyone running Vista RTM to see if maybe whatever was causing the issue was fixed? I figured I'd bring this up since by the time T2D is finished, Vista will probably be the standard OS. (or about to be)

Rhalph

I think you should increase clip distance. I don't remember the key... Go to the Help menu > Mouse and Key Settings > 3D Preview, the key to increase the clip distance is displayed here.

Oshyan

It may be something specific to the Vista OpenGL driver for your card. Hard to say without seeing an example. But I'd love to hear from anyone else using Vista, of course. We will be testing TG2 on Vista once it is publicly released and will determine any other problems at that time. Upon final release TG2 will of course be fully compatible with it.

- Oshyan

terrabill

Quote from: Rhalph on December 23, 2006, 01:49:19 PM
I think you should increase clip distance. I don't remember the key... Go to the Help menu > Mouse and Key Settings > 3D Preview, the key to increase the clip distance is displayed here.

Spot on Rhalph......I to was experiencing the effect although I`m running XP and I thought it was normal behaviour

Blackheart6004

Increasing the clip distance actually solves the problem.

I too am a Windows Vista RC1 Build 5600 user and I would love Terragen 2 to be supported.

FYI, Windows Vista will be released to the public at the end of this month.
My DeviantArt Profile - http://blackheart6004.deviantart.com/

jo

Hi,

This is pretty interesting. The other day I tried enabling compositing mode for windows on XP, to see if it got rid of some redraw/flicker problems we were having ( notably with lists ). It does fix it, but I got what I take to be the same behaviour with the preview described in the first post. I imagine Vista has the compositing mode turned on all the time, which is fair enough, it should be. Unfortunately even if I can find a fix for this behaviour, turning on compositing in XP noticeably slows things down.

Regards,

Jo

Blackheart6004

Is it possible that you can create a patch available to Vista users later on?
My DeviantArt Profile - http://blackheart6004.deviantart.com/

Will

Acualy I was wondering about this. How is Planetside going to handle the release of Vista? Are you going to release a patch or somthing, or are you just going to see how compatable it is and fix things as you go along?
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

jo

Hi,

In the past we haven't released patches as such, in general we tend to make entire new versions available. At this stage I would have to say that for Vista we will be seeing how things go and fixing things as we go along. Ideally we would have had prerelease versions of Vista available and have been testing on those as we went, but that hasn't happened. I think we would have been too busy really anyway. It's a little unfortunate that the release of TG2 TP and Vista coincide to a large degree. Feedback from alpha testers with access to Vista has generally been that things are working ok, but we really need to be testing it ourselves of course.

For Mac users, I have access to prerelease versions of OS X 10.5 ( Leopard ) and have started testing the Mac version with that.

Regards

Jo