New Errors on large file sizes.

Started by Upon Infinity, February 11, 2011, 10:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Okay, installed the switch.  System seems to be working.  Another test tonight.  And tomorrow...who knows?

Upon Infinity

Okay, finally some good news.  The render is now past the point where it had failed before.  I at least have the top of that mountain on the left there and still going strong.  Also, I have left the bucket sizes and other settings at their defaults too (instead of lowering them), so this definately seems to be a memory issue.  Filling in that last slot of RAM'll probably do me.  I didn't know how to set up to record the way memory was being used, but I have kept an eye on it.  At the start of the render I was at 800,000 to 900,000.  When the render was approaching the point where it had failed before, it dropped down to 300,000.  At this point, I thought there might be a memory leak in the program, but now, as we can see, it has jumped back up to 600,000 or so.

dandelO

Good news. :)

Quick ?uestion. The Eilean Donan picture on your main page to your site, is this a painting or a photo with some filters on? It's a beautiful place, and not too very far from me here, there's a place nearby to it that dates back to biblical times, with an old fort(who's name escapes me right now) that I have a small piece of the structure in my home(I probably shouldn't have taken it home but... ;)) I love the landscapes in this little part of the globe and I'm happy to see it here too, beautiful!

Upon Infinity

Damn buddy, sharp eye!  You might be the only one in the world to catch that, considering you can only see a slim part of it in the screenshot.  Actually I took that picture when I went to the UK last year in March.  I had walked there from Kyle of Lochalsh because the buses weren't running that early in the season and I couldn't afford to rent a car.  I stayed the night, but I shot the hell out of that castle for the better part of 24 hours or so (minus sleeping at the Loch Duich Hotel).  Most of the images I made of it are in HDR (just between you and me).  However, this particular image is just straight jpeg, but I had breathed ever so slightly on the lens to give it a more pronounced fog effect (although that morning it was already somewhat foggy).

And yes, I love the landscape in britain, not to mention the culture, castles, and girls with cute accents.  I'm toying with the idea of moving there, but it feels like it would be such an uphill battle.

You can see the whole image here:  http://www.imagekind.com/Fog-on-Loch-Duich_art?IMID=89302ea0-9659-4ddd-827e-548ddb068c13

I also have a gallery here with more images of Eilean Donan and everything else I've shot, if you're interested:   http://www.zazzle.com/uponinfinity

Upon Infinity

Oh, I thought you were talking about my windows background.  I hadn't realized you went to my website.  Yes, that picture is in HDR, so it has been heavily processed.  You must have just typed in my nick into a web address.  I hadn't realized I had any links back to my site on this forum.  lol!

dandelO

Hee hee! No, I didn't recognize the screenshot from your desktop, that would be a very sharp eye, indeed!

I actually thought I'd recognized the name in your task manager(CK) from somewhere and couldn't place where so I popped that into Uncle Google alongside Upon Infinity, only to realize that there's a singer in a pop-rock band with a very similar name, must be where I got mixed up. ;)

Anyhow, great shots of the homeland and moving here is a fine idea, in my opinion, if a little cold! :D

Martin.

Upon Infinity

Okay, definately memory related, for future reference, if anyone has a similar issue pop up in the future.  Render eventually completed sometime last night, using the /3gb switch.  Thanks for the help, everyone!

MoraFermi

This problem is definitely memory related. I have a scene with a few heavy (40+MB geometry, 40+MB textures) .obj props that rendered fine in previous version of Terragen Free (was that 2.1? I don't remember) but fails in the latest build.

Upon Infinity

I think I discovered what the 'real' problem was with this render.  It is memory, but it's because of the landscape I used - which is essentially three procedurals blended together.  Been doing a lot of rendering the last couple of weeks with different .tgd's and different size renders.  I'm doing one render right now with only 1 procedural terrain and the computer is just tearing through it.