Volcano Final -page 3-

Started by freelancah, February 20, 2011, 09:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freelancah

Ive been learning Houdini 11 for the past 2 weeks now and got inspired by the new pyro tools. Planning to simulate the volcano smoke in houdini and comp to a terragen render. Haven't decided yet if I will attempt an animation but will see..

Currently the lava is made by 2 surface layers with color and illumination channels. Mask originally built in geocontrol as is the rest of volcano.. No atmosphere in the render due WIP phase.. Im still working on the lava and suggestions and ideas are welcome..

It's just one sessions work and I have lots of stuff to solve in houdini before it will be done.
PS. added a houdini pyro test, just for fun. It still sucks quite a bit, but Im slowly progressing ;)

freelancah

Dune

This would be very 'cool' animated, indeed. How are you planning to do this; animate a round trip in TG2 and add the moving upheaval of smoke and flames from Houdini? Hard, but I can't wait to see your progress.

freelancah

I was thinking something in the lines of that. I'm not exactly sure how to do it yet. I need to learn how to import/export camera so i can get things to match. I was considering comping the thing in AE and rendering the terragen scenes without atmo, if shot from above. It would be relatively easy to fake in postwork if no horizon is visible and it'd lower rendertime to around 1min/frame.
Also, I'm currently going thru a school course on AE so I would actually know how to use it now :D

Rendered another pre-shaded smoke test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7qF3CUyg78 The smoke moves way too fast but I think I like the overall shape. Need to do some texturing tests..

TheBlackHole

This might be helpful for the lava flows. Just plug this into your shaders stack and blend the three surface layers by your lava mask. The layers are altitude-limited to give the effect that the fresh lava near the top is hotter than the cooler lava below, then at the bottom, the lava flows solidify into black rock.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

freelancah

Thanks TBH. I'l take a look in case I might use it! Here's a small update on the progress. Im having most of my trouble in houdini so will see if I get stuck there

Gannaingh

Yikes! That lava is sure looking hot!

Metacomet

These pictures are great! I'm trying to work on volcano and this tgc will help me a lot! :)

freelancah

Little update. I think the lava still needs some more work but think Il work on the surroundings for a change..
Metacomet: It's not really practical to share this file since the base is mostly made up with Geocontrol products: ter file, and the image masks. Folder for this scene is over 200mb with those masks..

Dune

Great update, and with some effort this can be a stunner.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on February 26, 2011, 09:40:52 AM
Great update, and with some effort this can be a stunner.

Yes! Great potential there  :)

freelancah

Thanks guys. I did another render on the lava. What do you think? The displacement might be a tad bit extreme perhaps? But what about the color? Too hot?

Henry Blewer

The color looks very good. I really think you have it almost perfect.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Here's some reference... it's looking good so far, a little 'deeper glow' perhaps, but lighting it depends on being it a day or night scene I guess.

freelancah

Wow I so did not get the scale on that from the small image!

Here's a little update. I think I made some progress with the lava shader and I think the left part needs some displacement similar to the right one. Any ideas?