Ivy on ruins

Started by sonshine777, March 26, 2007, 09:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonshine777

Here is a render of some of the ivy from the "Ivy Generator" program on an old ruin.
There are two ivy models on the ruin in order to get the coverage, probably needs
one more to get the right side better. This is still a work in progress, I have had a few
problems with the renders crashing and I am trying to isolate what is causing the crash,
hence the low resolution.

I also tried some things with the fake rocks trying to get some small vegetation between some
of the mid-sized pebbles using an image shader. It produced the black rocks (not intended). Needless
to say I'm still working on it.

Enjoy and comments/ideas welcome :)

dhavalmistry

very nice use of vegetation.....maybe you can work more on your ground cover.....dried leaves and dried up grass maybe a dead tree too....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

I like this, though (it might be LCD) the color of the sky looks different than I'm used to and some of the foliage seems off in color.  I know it's difficult, since I've seen BigBen go into such lengths to explaining it, but this is my observation.

I like it overall, though.  A lot of thought went into it.  The stones could use some diversity in placement and depth to look more real.  I think you can do this through the Vary Density and Density Variation on the Fake Stone Shader.   These will help placement.  Depth is another issue of a couple of in-depth threads somewhere in the Discussions and this (Image) thread.

Keep working on it!   :)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

sonshine777

Quote from: calico on March 26, 2007, 11:57:07 AM
I like this, though (it might be LCD) the color of the sky looks different than I'm used to and some of the foliage seems off in color.  I know it's difficult, since I've seen BigBen go into such lengths to explaining it, but this is my observation.

I like it overall, though.  A lot of thought went into it.  The stones could use some diversity in placement and depth to look more real.  I think you can do this through the Vary Density and Density Variation on the Fake Stone Shader.   These will help placement.  Depth is another issue of a couple of in-depth threads somewhere in the Discussions and this (Image) thread.

Keep working on it!   :)

I know how the fake rocks work here is a link of one of my pieces http://www.terranuts.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=25958&limit=recent

As stated in my post with the image the rocks are an experiment, which I am working on. :)

rcallicotte

No kidding you know how the rocks work!  That's an awesome job on those other rocks.  I remember that picture.  I was doing three things at once when I decided to look at the Planetside forums and didn't get down to details.  I apologize.

sonshine777

Quote from: calico on March 26, 2007, 06:43:58 PM
No kidding you know how the rocks work!  That's an awesome job on those other rocks.  I remember that picture.  I was doing three things at once when I decided to look at the Planetside forums and didn't get down to details.  I apologize.

No Problem. As soon as I get these the way I want them I will Post an new Image. I will also post a .tgc of the rock nodes, if its not too big I will zip it with the texture images. Sorry if I seemed snappy it was early in the morning when I responded (no coffee yet :))

bigben

Very nice image, especially given reduced render quality. 

Quote from: calico on March 26, 2007, 11:57:07 AM
I like this, though (it might be LCD) the color of the sky looks different than I'm used to and some of the foliage seems off in color.

I dragged it to both monitors and the sky does seem perhaps a little cyan'ish. You might consider shifting its hue slightly towards blue. 

The ivy leaves look fine and I wouldn't cover the ruins too much (any more). The rocks look great, but the distribution is a bit too even.You could try either an image map or a BW shader to use for a blending shader for the larger fake stones layers (and bump up the density to compensate for the gaps)

You could also use the same shader (inverted) as a density shader for populations of small plants in betwen them.

Your crashes at higher render quality may be due to your grass population causing you to run out of RAM (at a guess). I had issues with this, but a workaround does involve a bit of work (without modifying the grass population)
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=972.msg10345#msg10345
You could adapt this approach to cropped renders as well.

rcallicotte

Quote from: sonshine777 on March 26, 2007, 06:54:06 PM
I will also post a .tgc of the rock nodes, if its not too big I will zip it with the texture images.

Ohhh, goody.   :P

sonshine777

Quote from: bigben on March 26, 2007, 07:36:06 PM
Your crashes at higher render quality may be due to your grass population causing you to run out of RAM (at a guess). I had issues with this, but a workaround does involve a bit of work (without modifying the grass population)
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=972.msg10345#msg10345
You could adapt this approach to cropped renders as well.

I have 3gig of ram and have done renders that had much a higher grass concentration with no problem. I tried a render with a different POV and it didn't crash (didn't change it much either). If that doesn't work the cropped renders is what I will probably do. So for now I am back to working on the rocks/ground cover.   

Victor

It seems to me, that an arrangement of trees on the distant plan not so successful. And fern, I think, on the sun, on the open place will not grow. I can am mistaken. It is felt, that the image synthetic, not realistic.

sonshine777

Quote from: Victor on March 27, 2007, 03:12:49 AM
It seems to me, that an arrangement of trees on the distant plan not so successful. And fern, I think, on the sun, on the open place will not grow. I can am mistaken. It is felt, that the image synthetic, not realistic.

I Live in the Pacific Northwest (Washington, USA) and it is not uncommon to have ivy growing out away from trees. We have allot out rain here and it is not necessary to have plants that normally need tree cover to grow out in the open, that is why the Pacific Northwest is so green.

Victor

Forgive for not so good English language. I meant fern, instead of an ivy. It seems to me, that figure would be better if to change position of the camera more to the right and to look at a wall directly. :)

sonshine777

Fern grow out in the open also, I have seen meadow openings with no trees filled with fern. Have you ever heard people say that moss grows on the north side of a tree? In the Pacific Northwest it grows all the way around. We have about 200+ days of rain here (so not much sun), so plants that normally grow in the shade grow everywhere.

The main purpose of the render was to explore how the ivy looks growing on the wall thats is why the camera is pointing primarily at the wall.

Victor

I think, that I badly know the nature of different places of globe. :(
The main thing, that I wished to tell - it seems to me, that not so successful general composition of objects and consequently all figure is not perceived realistic. This my opinion. And the ivy has well turned out. ;)