First Animation

Started by snake_eyes, February 22, 2011, 01:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snake_eyes

Hello everyone, I'm new here and new to Terragen.  I made an animation this weekend, please have a look if you'd like:

http://vimeo.com/20229828

AFTER I finished rendering I found out I should have selected Ray Trace Objects, hoprefully that will reduce flickering in the next project.

Any suggestions/feedback are welcome!

dhavalmistry

I like the last couple of shots!...great work!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

cyphyr

A good start, there's a LOT of work gone in there. Ray Trace objects won't get rid of flickering (although I almost always leave it on). Try generally upping the samples, using Ratyrace Atmosphere and getting rid of AI altogether. link
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

inkydigit

very good, I look forward to seeing more!

Oshyan

Excellent work. I like that this tells a story rather than just being a big fly-through of a piece of terrain.

There are a couple sources of "flicker"/noise in the animation that can probably be addressed by using different settings. First, using Raytraced Objects is almost always recommended. The objects themselves will look better and render time will tend to be faster. If there is a lot of motion blur however the render time can be longer for equivalent quality. Quality for raytraced objects is largely determined by the antialiasing level rather than detail level. This is true for other Raytraced parameters like Raytraced Atmosphere as well.

Speaking of Raytraced Atmosphere, that's another setting you should use if you are not already doing so (if you don't have TG 2.2 that includes this feature, just do an update). If you use this you should get less noise in the clouds and atmosphere and faster render time as well.

Finally there are possible Global Illumination flicker issues in some parts. If you're using GI, upping Sample Quality can help. Also turn on Supersample Prepass. See if either of those things help.

Hopefully the next version will get rid of those problems. Keep up the good work!

- Oshyan

snake_eyes

Thanks for the detailed feedback everyone, I made this all very quickly and didn't do my homework regarding these settings.  No problem for now, but I appreciate you all giving me some concrete information regarding what settings I should use for next time.