Hi-res QTVR - finally

Started by bigben, March 26, 2007, 10:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

After a week of rendering it's finally done... well there's still the issue of the water but it's very late and I'll fix that tomorrow. Not entirely sure why the water changed because a seed value was present in the water shader.

The half resolution image is attached below or you can view the full 3600x1800 image (4.7mb, JPEG, max. quality) or the QTVR (807kb). 

Many thanks to all those who offered suggestions to help me past some of the technical issues in getting this rendered. It was certainly a very educational exercise. I find a QTVR gives a better perspective on what looks "real" and what could be improved.  The surfacing in this is pretty basic, being mostly coloured versions of the distribution masks for the object populations.

Approx. 2 million objects. 4 tree populations filling a 20x20km square, and a 500m square of grass.

dhavalmistry

man as always....good job.....I love your grass in the shadow....keep it up...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

sonshine777

Great job Ben,

Everything looks wonderful except the line running down the middle of the lake, I assume that is the point that two of the frames join.

Keep up the great work your input on these forums is of great value. I wish I had more time to explore and interact as you do. I do try to help out when I get a chance, maybe in the short term that will be possible.

Edit: I just saw your comment about the water sorry about making mention about it. :)

helentr

A great image, Ben.
Everything is so good, especially the tree distribution, the grass and the snow, but I envied your clouds.
There is some strong reflection in the trees in front of the sun - I don't know if it was intended.

Helen

bigben

Thanks for the comments. I placed the camera here partly to check out the grass and tree distribution.  I think it needs to be denser but that means more work on my masking and setting extra populations to reduce the rendering  quality of distant trees to keep RAM usage under control. The distant trees look good but there could be some more.

The lines in the water are at tile boundaries.

I really like the lighting on the grass through most angles except perhaps directly towards the sun. I think my new grass surfacing fixes that but I'll have to check that a little closer. The other thing that might be nice is if there was an increased reflectivity directly opposite the sun, but it's pretty good as it is.

Widely distributed grass tiles look a little odd as grass clumps aren't square ;) Somemore variation in colour of the grass would also be good, but that will be fixed with my new grass model.

Rocks/stones yet to be added.

Blue spruce model looks too crude for close ups.

The reflections on the leaves towards the sun are "intentional" but their appearance is a limitation of using a flat leaf surface. The reflection covers an entire leaf group uniformly.

There are parts of the qtvr that look quite realistic, so there's a lot of potential.  I find QTVR is a good test for cloud settings. These look better than i expected  ;)

Will

neat, great final resault! your projects continue to be awsome :)

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

bigben

Decided to do another render from this TGD... higher up near Grand Teton to check out the snow up closer and the tree masking from above. The only tweak I'm making at the moment is increasing the overall tree density by 50% to compensate for reductions due to masking.  I'll post the result when it's finished.

bigben

Here's a sneak peek at the second render. Spotted a few more errors, most notably the failure to restrict the tree populations to below the snow line... although it gives you a better idea of the masking resulting from the use of a WM flow map.

The snow is Lucio's (wonderful) embossed snow. It's not set very deep and there are some loosely scattered boulders showing through on intermediate slopes. Their spacing is too uniform but they're still kind of interesting.  I also like the appearance of the trees from above even though I didn't put any grass up at the higher altitudes and they're sitting on bare rock.

http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bernardk/tgdemo/tetons_v6b_2.mov (310kb)
...pan left ;)

old_blaggard

It looks good from what I can see.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

neon22

Beautiful Lake shore and the erosion effect on the grassy hill is just fantastic

bigben

Quote from: neon22 on March 29, 2007, 05:32:38 AM
Beautiful Lake shore and the erosion effect on the grassy hill is just fantastic

Thanks.  The shoreline is a fake stone shader with an even (horizontal) width around the lake. The rocky slope on the far side of the lake is due to my reference satellite image not actually matching my terrain (oops). This became more obvious when I went to put a river through the middle of the terrain.

The breakup of grass on the hill is deliberate... due to using using a flow map from WM combined with slope restrictions for the density shader of the grass population. The main improvement I can think of is using a narrower grass object but it's a pretty promising start.