attempt: foam on water

Started by child@play, March 26, 2007, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

child@play

hey,

hope you aren't dissapointed, i know, interesting topic ;)

but here's what i got, works for me, and it's really easy to achieve this effect, i only need to get rid of the banding
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

old_blaggard

Interesting foam.  I think it could still use a little work, but you're on the right track.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Oshyan

That's already looking pretty good. I think with a bit more noise/breakup it'd be excellent.

- Oshyan

child@play

thx,

i changed the breakup a little and added a reflective shader, now the foam looks less 'uniform'. couldn't eliminate the banding, any thoughts  ???
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Oshyan

I think the foam distribution on the first one was fine - it's the edges and breakup at a smaller scale that I was suggesting.

When you refer to the "banding" are you talking about the lines on the upper right and left?

- Oshyan

child@play

exactly, tried changing warp and whatnot, but they're still there

didn't change the distribution really, this is just the effect of adding the reflectivity shader, but i'll try scaling down the small features, set them to 1 while testing, simply forgot to change it back ;)

edit: sweet, rendered at higher quality, the lines seem to be gone

bigben

Looks really good.

I've seen banding like this in the sky. Had to increase cloud or atmospehre samples to get rid of it

Or it could be wind-related?

<edit> or render quality  :P

Oshyan

The lines are a bug we're aware of that ought to be fixed in the future. Ironically they were also present in TG 0.9, although there is no shared code between them to cause the duplicate issue. ;)

- Oshyan

child@play

allright, here's another one, after adding a distance shader to the atmo.

less foam, but more realistic look (i hope ;) )

p.s.: still a WIP/ experiment

rcallicotte

Yes.  A lot more realistic.  Diligent.  Good job.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

The foam looks a lot better.  If you could get the terrain to seem more integrated with the water, I think you would have an awesome image.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

child@play

thx guys,

and o_b, you won't get any argument from me here, i'm just rendering the scene at high quality, and like most of my renders, i'm not very pleased. i was about to post the result in the image-area to ask for ideas what to change :)

back to work...  ;D

edit: attached the clip file, free to use and play with, you can get some nice 'heavy sea' effect by simply making the 'smallest scale' smaller

neon22

Can you explain how to hook up your clip file.
I attached it to my planet but I can't see any foam :-(
am I supposed to be feeding a powerfractal into it and merging it with a surface shader ?

neon22

Ahh.. should have looked in Image Sharing thread first :-(
Cheers :-)