My Procedural Road, *Final* pg. 8

Started by FrankB, March 08, 2011, 06:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Looking very good Frank. As for the first scene you made, maybe a 'switchback' (series of 180 degrees turns) up the mountain would be more convincing - but, probably be a bear of a task. The other iteration are also very good. As soon as my render is complete, I'm going to try this road project.

FrankB

Quote from: dandelO on March 08, 2011, 05:51:45 PM
Wish the council were so gracious about road surfacing here! We get an uneven bloody spewing from the tarmac machine, at best! Procedural potholes, anyone? ;)

Great progress, Frank. You're doing wonderful things as usual. :)

Thanks Martin, much appreciated!

Your comment got me thinking that I might create another variant that produces a much more "worn"  - read: broken - look of the tarmac. With holes and cracks, quick-fixed spots and the like. You know, the kind of road that you and I have in our neighborhoods ;)

FrankB

Quote from: choronr on March 08, 2011, 05:53:02 PM
Looking very good Frank. As for the first scene you made, maybe a 'switchback' (series of 180 degrees turns) up the mountain would be more convincing - but, probably be a bear of a task. The other iteration are also very good. As soon as my render is complete, I'm going to try this road project.

Hi Bob, unfortunately that's beyond my capabilities it seems, at least when done procedurally and with functions. I could paint that switchback path, though, and I might at one point.

Regards,
Frank

Oshyan

This is really cool work and looking very good, especially the close-ups. The yellow looks a bit pale to me, but otherwise spot-on.

- Oshyan

Volker Harun

I am in love with the yellow lines :D

Dune

Congrats Frank, this really looks good. I think I've got an idea about how you did this with the x to scalar etc, blue node setup, and just yesterday I vaguely got some other ideas about the problem of roads having the same angle as the hill. I don't know if you managed to solve that one ( I think I see a bit of angling road on top of the hill on your last render?).
I think the asphalt should be a little more gray. I have attached a reflective shader to mine, or you could color it with a distance shader. There will also be the problem (= challenge) of dashed lines, but that may well be done procedurally as well with a sinus function (like my sleepers).
Looking forward to your progress.

FrankB

Thanks all!

@Ulco: I have a method to even out the road angle against the hill angle somewhat (but not completely). To be clear I'm talking about the effect that the road would tilt in one direction if it runs alongside a hill. But this method is pretty destructive if the angle gets too high, and it has other unwanted side effects. So all in all, no, I don't have a really good solution yet.
And indeed, the dashed line would have to be created using a trigenometric function. Something based on e^sin(x) s going to be best I reckon, rounded up with a hard step or so.

Regards,
Frank

Volker Harun

Quote from: FrankB on March 09, 2011, 03:02:15 AM
And indeed, the dashed line would have to be created using a trigenometric function. Something based on e^sin(x) s going to be best I reckon, rounded up with a hard step or so.
If you want the lines to be 10m long, then divide it by 5, make a modulo(2) and put a Nearest integer node after it.

FrankB

There you go, ask the function wizard Volker! :)

Dune

I know what you mean, I've got a method as well, but fairly hard to get right. This (another) method here evens out quite good, but has a lethal effect on roadsides  >:(
There should be a way to take only the central Y-values of the road as a basis for displacement in the terrain.... but I'm getting a bit tired of functions now.
The problem I also encounter is that I cannot bend the road anymore. I had it working previously, but lost it when going for simple shapes (where it works fine). Anyway, I'll abandon this and get on with my railstuff.

FrankB

two more, now grey tarmac and white lines, dashed middle.
Second one sunset mood.
... for a change :)

Cheers,
Frank

inkydigit

:o
looking really good Frank....I like this a lot!

FrankB

thanks! The road is still quite edgy along the way. I'll have to fix that... doesn't seem so easy to find the right lever.

bla bla 2

Je voudrais bien faire pareil.  :-\