The Faery's Glade

Started by Sengin, March 27, 2007, 01:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sengin

My first complete effort of TGTP, The Faery's Glade.  The render time was a full week straight (168 hours, 56 mins, 37 secs) on a 2 GHz celeron with 512 MB of RAM.  The reason for such high times was likely to be the cumulus cloud layer which has a density of 12 and quality of 2 (1500+ samples), but the cirrus was a quality of 4 but with 85+ samples.

But yeah, I am VERY pleased with the result (the only issue I have is the "let's make a horizon line on top of everything" bug, but it's only slightly noticeable).  I love how the clouds look, and I love how the moon seems to be falling onto the cirrus layer, like a ball on a blanket (look at how the cirrus layer dips at the bottom of the moon, and how as the clouds get farther from the moon, the more stretched they look).  No postwork at all, direct from the render box (but saved as a png to save space).

Anyway, I hope all of you like it :)  Feel free to leave any comments and criticism!

king_tiger_666

thats some render time... makes my 80hrs not sound so bad... great clouds and the planet looks great.
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

Oshyan

Beautiful clouds! A shame about the render time but you're right the extremely high cloud samples are almost certainly to blame. Did you got that level because you found lower sample numbers to produce unpleasant results, or did you just want to be sure to get it "right" on the first try? Did you use GI and if so what settings were used for detail? Did you have Raytraced Shadows turned on in either Atmosphere or Cloud Layer quality tabs?

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Will

wonderful clouds and giant moon! only problum I have is the terrien seems bland, keep it up though! :)

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Beeeeautiful.  I would have liked the stars to be fainter, but geez.  This is good.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Great clouds!  I'm really impressed with how they turned out.  Pity about the render time, though.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Sengin

Thanks everyone :D

Quote from: Will on March 27, 2007, 05:25:33 AMonly problum I have is the terrien seems bland, keep it up though! :)
That's because it's water :)

Quote from: Oshyan on March 27, 2007, 01:58:38 AM
Beautiful clouds! A shame about the render time but you're right the extremely high cloud samples are almost certainly to blame. Did you got that level because you found lower sample numbers to produce unpleasant results, or did you just want to be sure to get it "right" on the first try? Did you use GI and if so what settings were used for detail? Did you have Raytraced Shadows turned on in either Atmosphere or Cloud Layer quality tabs?

GI was on (both at 2).  I put them high because they weren't coming out the way I wanted them to (I tried the detail at 1 on the render preview size and cropping on the 800x600, but I they just wasn't getting what I needed).  I checked, the ray-traced shadows were turned off for atmosphere and clouds (remember me asking you about that in the other thread?  I checked, and I had accidentally turned it on.  I rendered a crop of an 800x600 render that was about 100x90 pixels, and it took about 80-90 minutes (can't remember).  I rendered the same thing without them checked in the atmosphere and clouds and it rendered in 97 SECONDS - now DAMN that is an increase (~60 times)).