Job's Forum

Started by Cyber-Angel, March 27, 2007, 10:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Angel

Would it be possible to have a job's forum established on these forums as once TG2 goes commercial latter this year people are going to be looking for artists with TG2 experience and what an opportunity for Planetside if the first place these people could look to recruit is on the official forums here.

Also Planetside Software is a small company with one most presume planes to expand and grow its staff in the future this new forum would be a great place to look to recruit new people to the staff.

By having this forum it would send clear signals to the market place about how Planetside sees its self and how it should be perceived in the gobble marketplace, other software companies have jobs sections or forums on their websites I think Planetside should do the same.

;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Will

I'm still waiting for the day that I get on 3djobs and see somone looking for a terragen expert (not that I am one). Anyway Its a good idea not sure if this is completely thje right place for it thoug, maybe on ashunder or anouther community site.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

old_blaggard

Someone actually did post a job offer here a while back: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1047.msg10256#msg10256.  However, due to the infrequency of Terragen jobs, I doubt a full forum would be required.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Oshyan

I tend to agree. We have taken an attitude toward expansion of services here that is based on need. When image postings started clutting up the "Shared Files" area and there was request for a gallery, we opened the "Image Sharing" section and it has been quite successful. If and when job postings, either those seeking jobs or those seeking artists, become more frequent, we will glady accomodate that need with a separate area if required. It doesn't make sense to do so until the need is more clear however.

I certainly hope work for TG artists becomes more prevalent as a result of TG2's sucess!

- Oshyan

Will

Quote from: Oshyan on March 27, 2007, 07:25:37 PM

I certainly hope work for TG artists becomes more prevalent as a result of TG2's sucess!

- Oshyan

To Terragen!

MeltingIce

I've had volunteer, non-paying jobs using Terragen with 3 different Half-Life 2 mods making skyboxes.  Paying jobs using Terragen might be slightly harder to come by, but I'm sure theres some offers out there.  I've had one paying job in the category of 3d design and that was a 3d animation for a medical company to show off their newest invention.  Let me tell ya tho, 3D design jobs and animation jobs pay VERY well.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Njen

To get work using Terragen or similar, I would suggest in pursuing a carrer as a patte painter, or an environment artist. Companies like ILM have departments for this type of work. The matte painting department there use anything to get the job done: Max, Maya, Brazil, Vue, Terragen, etc...

So brush up on this environment and matte painting skills, and you could be using Terragen to do the work you want.

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: njen on April 02, 2007, 09:28:52 AM
To get work using Terragen or similar, I would suggest in pursuing a carrer as a patte painter, or an environment artist. Companies like ILM have departments for this type of work. The matte painting department there use anything to get the job done: Max, Maya, Brazil, Vue, Terragen, etc...

So brush up on this environment and matte painting skills, and you could be using Terragen to do the work you want.

Your referring I take it to whats known in the trade as Digital Matte Painting (DMP) rather than traditional matte painting which was done on sheets of clear optical grade glass painted from behind using the same painting techniques as cell animation which where placed in front of the camera to be filmed: exsamples of this method can be seen in both The Empire Strikes Back(TM) and Return Of The Jedi(TM) (AKA. The Revenge Of The Jedi).

Regrades to you.

Cyber-Angel 

Njen

Yeah, generally speaking, in the industry, the position of digital matte painter is known as a matte painter. There are not many traditional matte painters around these days.

DiscoBall

lol 'duh...' :P
Hmm...traditional matte painting may come in handy...in ..some films..

Anyway, Digital Matte Painting is widely used in film making, etc, so Terragen may be a very good tool, instead of using TG for game making (though in the future, when environments DO get this detailed...:P)

You could also try motion capturing, and to a 'certain' extent match moving (motion tracking), as TG would be very good for background scenes.

Have you seen those two demo reels (videos, rather) on the TG download page? That F-35 video was really well done.

Cyber-Angel

The F-35 program is already late and is subject to an Enquiry by the Congressional Defence Sub-Committee for delays and cost over runs among other things: but back on subject I have seen the video you speak of and yes it is rather good, TG2 use for the terrain and maybe the sky as well.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

DiscoBall

Heh, remember, it's still a 'prototype' I think..they haven't really made official ones yet, have they?
Heard they're trying to mass produce it..as it has some of the high technology from the F-22 Raptor, but still maintaining a medium low-ish price (Raptors cost soo much!)

Yep, the video is awesome fun ;)

Cyber-Angel

I think to be truthful that it would be better to build a version of the F-22 for the Marine Corps and a modified version for the Navy, as it is the F-22 is available now and has already started been deployed to front line squadrons and doesn't have the complexity of V/STOL or the weight issues of the F-35 the F-22 has the advantage of Super cruse (Supersonic flight without afterburners) the F-35 dose not have this that I know of.

Some thing else to consider the F-35 only has one engine the F-22 Raptor has two ask any military aviator which they'd prefer and I think you'll find it will be the air plane with two engines that wins hands down every time.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

Will

Ah the evolution of topics...fanisinating. Does anyone know what the next helicopter is, I know that stealth one was canceled (the name is escapiong me at the moment) we (US) have had our UH-60s for a while now.

Regards,

Will

Cyber-Angel

That would be the The Boeing Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche nice program shame about the cost, delays and what not.

Will, when you ask what the next helicopter is, could you specify the role ie: Anti-Sub, Anti-Armour, Heavy Lift etc then some one maybe able to help.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel