Started by Snowflake, December 05, 2010, 09:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowflake

Tangled-Universe

Seth

Snowflake

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 19, 2010, 12:11:46 PM
Yes? Vray scatter, so?

The question was: external Render with TG2 like VrayScatter or Brazil or KRAY render!?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Snowflake on December 17, 2010, 09:51:14 AM
Let me know is Landscape Set extension possible with TG 2 and acceptable rendertimes in Full HD?

As far as I know this was the question about TG2 so therefore I don't understand why this Vray reel came up.

So now the question is if an external renderer can work with TG2 scenes. No, not directly.
You would need to export geometry (and 2D texture perhaps) from TG2 and render and/or populate that with whateverer renderer/plugin for that renderer you like.

Postglory

Hi, I just thought I'd throw in my 2 peneth.

I have used camera tracking data in Terragen2 but to do it you need to use a work around.  The info is in the forums you just got to hunt it down. I was using XSI.
The way I did it was to output the live action plate camera tracking data from the tacking program in to .xsi format, and used a plugin to convert it into .chan format, I then loaded it into the camera in Terragen2.
It took me a lot of trial and error as the xsi plugin was created by another user in jscript and was a work in progress.
I have also used the plugin available for 3Dsmax, it is amazing and hassle free.

I feel that animation is better off done in another 3D program and exported to Terragen2, I mean by using the Terragen2 mesh export as a guide.  An FBX import/exporter would be great and I understand is in the pipeline, but who knows how long before it will be available.

For live action only very close work would need to be rendering directly in Terragen2 which would be matched with  live action matchmove data  for example a fully greenscreened actor, his feet contacting with a terragen surface.  But for most set extension stuff an environment sphere/cube or an image matte could be used, and a camera projection set up in another compositing program such as Nuke to match the close depth perception.

Here are a couple of the things I did.
This one is a simple test of live action camera tracking data fed into Terragen via XSI plugin.
http://vimeo.com/8652516  

This one is at the beginning of my current show reel where the base jumper jumps off a tower, I was pushed for time and only had time to render the scene at a much reduced detail level (rendered frame by frame in Terragen2) but you get the idea, also I should have taken my own advice here and used a BG matte within XSI, although I was using it to learn the workflow between matchmove XSI and Terragen2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKILGFFbWcQ

The truth is out there, you just got to dig.

Snowflake

Require: Terragen 2.2 for VFX Mattepainting - behind the Basics Tutorial

Useful realistic Matte Paintings Technique by creating with Terragen 2.2 Elements

Quote from: FrankB on December 05, 2010, 04:55:28 PM

However eventually, we'd like to go beyond a simple tutorial (regardless how advanced the topics may be), and provide a true curriculum, maybe even with knowledge certification, but no details are decided yet.

We will be well into 2011 before we may go live, but I'll remember you as a potential customer for this offering ;)

Is there anyone else reading this thread and honestly interested in such a commercial grade elearning offering?

Any news about this advanced tutorials for TG use in Production?

FrankB

Hi Snowflake, we've had only very limited response to the idea. I don't think we'll go down that path. Shame somehow, but maybe the time isn't right yet for this.

Regards,
Frank

Snowflake

Hmm, the time isn't right for what - TG for VFX or TG Trainings Lessons ???

The Tutorials and stuff here or on planetside are good and helpful, but they aren't a comprehensive training course. I don't understand why NO one is able to create an advanced TG Video Tutorial?

For VUE there are 5 or more companies and professionals Users which produce dozens of free or commercial Trainigsvideos from 1 to 3 hours and they earned money with this.

A good TG advanced Video Tutorial - one hour for 29$ for example and will sold 20-30 times isn't enough ..!?

The detailed continuous Documentation of TG 2 and all parameters is poor at the moment and i need a time saving way to go from this:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=7733.0

to this realistic results like this: http://vimeo.com/14041305

Sorry, no Advanced Lessons for TG it's my knock out criteria to buy TG for production use  :-\

FrankB

Quote from: Snowflake on March 16, 2011, 04:49:47 PM
Hmm, the time isn't right for what - TG for VFX or TG Trainings Lessons ???

Time is not right me (!) to produce these and provide the infrastructure to sell and make them available. Not more, not less.

But I have good news for you ( and I don't mean to sound ironic, this is really what I think): if all you want is to learn how to go from your first link to the second, just start a scene, post it here as a WIP, and ask for advice step by step. I bet you'll be at your desired destination (video) in under a week. The animation you were referencing isn't difficult to make at all.

Regards,
Frank

walwop

so I take it there are no plans for creating a comprehensive and advance terragen tutorials?

I guess we can always experiment and learn through trial an error however the tuts would have saved allot of time.

sorry for any mistakes English is not my first language.