Objects Differing in lighting

Started by Themodman101, April 14, 2011, 03:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Themodman101

I cant seem to figure out what is wrong with my vegitations lighting

As you can see its rather messed up, I bet its something really simple but right now I cant seem to figure it out.. Oh, and is giving the tgd helpful? as the objects arent with it.

sjefen

I don't understand what you are talking about. That some trees are darker than others??
If so, to me it just looks like shadows from the clouds  ;)

Regards,
Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

choronr

Just try disabling the clouds and crop render the trees portion; then render it. You should then see the trees brighten up. Also, you can increase the 'diffuse' setting of the needles of the conifer trees which will lighten them up a bit.

Henry Blewer

You can also increase the camera exposure, adjust the render gamma and contrast, and increase the surface enivo light.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Themodman101

Ah okay, thanks for all the help guys :D

I was speaking of how the tree's on the cliff on the far left side are so light compared to the surface lighting. It almost appears like the light isnt affecting the terrain at all. Just the trees are lightened.

Okay I will try some of those and see If I can fix it.

EDIT:

okay here's an image Highlighting the issue:

I want it too look more like my previous camera position. Which for some reason made it look much better. its
weird.

Here's what it should look like:

This is very confusing, as I didnt change anything but the lighting direction. Changed the suns postion I mean.

Hannes

Sometimes this can be caused by the translucency settings (too high?) in the tree's leaves or needles. You could also increase the GI relative detail in the render settings, but this also increases render times dramatically.

Another idea: try to use the fill light setup instead of GI:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=580.0

Dune

Hannes is right, it's the translucency of the leaves. Slide it down to black for a start.

Themodman101

Okay, now this brings me to another question. Where on earth is the translucency settings? Do I have to import the mtl into max or maya or whatever? ive looked around in TG2 but I dont see an ability to edit the material.

I guess I'll have to find a TGO plugin for max or maya.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Themodman101 on April 15, 2011, 10:16:33 AM
Okay, now this brings me to another question. Where on earth is the translucency settings? Do I have to import the mtl into max or maya or whatever? ive looked around in TG2 but I dont see an ability to edit the material.

I guess I'll have to find a TGO plugin for max or maya.

That doesn't exist.

You can find the translucency settings in the object maker of the population.
Click on the '+' of the population node to go inside the node, then inside the node repeat that again and you're inside the object maker for your model.
There you see red nodes, each represents an element of your model like bark, stem, leaf etc.
Look up for your leaf texture shader and double click it.
In the first tab, called "colour", you can setup your leaf texture. Among these settings is the translucent setting.

This indeed looks like translucency settings problems, but be aware that once you've sorted this out it might be that it will look to dark or odd/off in the shadows.
Then you'll need better GI quality to fix this. GI 2/4/8 works good in most cases.

Themodman101

Ooooh, duhhh... I feel stupid, I completely forgot about the internal network.