Underwater?

Started by AndyWelder, April 03, 2011, 06:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyWelder

Spend the last two days working on an underwater scene but now I require some fresh eyes who can tell me if this looks anyway near an underwater scene because I've seen too many variations the past 48 hours. :-\ Forget the crappy shark model, please. And thank you in advance for any input.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

airflamesred

Looks nice and murky. I don;t know if its the presence of a  horizon - I can't decide

inkydigit

this is great, nice dark gloomy mood....I am sure there was a hammerhead shark model here somewhere?

Kadri

It is really subjective but i would go with something in the way like this Andy .

[attachimg=#]

When you render the TGD i put here (It is your modified TGD ) you will see a dull image.

[attachurl=#]

I saved the image you see above as EXR and made a very easy adjustment in XnView
(In edit mode : Image +Map + Automatic levels).
  Edit: Please look at my post below .
I didn't tried to change the noise level by the way. I would make the horizon a little bit darker too .

I hope this is useful for you in some way !

ajcgi

Having done underwater shots not so long ago (not terragen, but principal holds the same), get some detritus in there. Bits floating about, pieces of seaweed etc.

AndyWelder

@ kadri: Thank you for taking the time to play with the file! Changing the cloud size was one of the sidetracks I went working on this but I didn't get the results you got. And using the atmo part of the modified .TGD in the .TGD with the sharks for some reasons didn't give those small patches of light and shadow I like so much in your render; the small rays are there though... Guess the ground level is lower. Weekend is over now and I don't have much time for TG but I will look into this as soon as I can.
BTW: If I repeat the steps you took in XnView I get a red ground surface?

Kadri

Andy i don't know how this happened! I try mostly 2 times before i post here.
Maybe i did change something in TG2 and didn't saved that file.

I don't know what you mean with red ground but i don't get the same result as above too.

You can still use it but you have to try with the other settings in XnView or whatever (and better) image editor you use.

I tried other settings and did get this one.This is more what i wanted directly from TG2.
The atmosphere quality sample setting is high . For shorter render time you can lower it if you don't mind a little noise .

[attachimg=#]

But it needs some post too.
After some messing with Xnview (this time with the settings :)). But there are no limits of course.

[attachimg=#]

This is the file: [attachurl=#]

I hope you get what you see here this time Andy :)

Kadri

When i changed the camera to look a little bit more above to the water surface (!) i didn't liked the look too much of the surface.
I downloaded this texture http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/330424 and inverted the colors.
Use this map (or any one you want) in your " image map shader 01" for your "Altacumulus layer 01" (you will get a warning because of this at first).

[attachurl=#]

I didn't messed much with this. There are probably better ways.
Or maybe some one made one like this and put it in the file sharing section already.

No postwork on this one. Rendered under 9 minutes here on my 4 cores .
The new 4 core ones will do this maybe under 4 minutes.

[attachimg=#]

The ground and color of the water on the old one is better. But i made this more for fun. I hope you have too  :)

dandelO

Good job, Andy and Kadri, all look great. I especially like Kadri's last one with the extremely limited visibility depth and the source of the caustics being visible. Cool!

AndyWelder

Magnificent idea: Using the caustics image for the clouds' density shader! The water surface looks pretty convincing that way.
This reminded me I still do have the free version of "CausticsGenerator" (http://www.dualheights.se/caustics/), software I used a lot with classic Terragen, on my PC. I created a new caustics bitmap with it, similar to the one you used here, and used that and your atmosphere for a new version of the render with sharks. A clean version of the .TGD (without objects) as well as a CausticsGenerator settings file are included.
Edited to add a HDR version of the image.

Dune

Very nice atmosphere and scene. But I think you could use a (very) warped ridged fractal with high contrast (and some experimentation) instead of an image map. Or a voronoi type noise. Perhaps two of them blended. That would make it completely procedural. But this, of course, is very fine as well.

dandelO

That's the very way I made my underwater images before. Using the caustics shader as the cloud layer fractal. I unchecked 'enable primary' in mine so that only the rays were seen but if the surface is in view then it's the very same thing. There's an example in my old 'Public Library(pt2, I think)' files, which I think are only available at Ashundar now, since I removed most of my own links to the older stuff I'd uploaded.
It isn't as 'clear' looking as this one, though, more a dirty-green sea there, but the idea is the same.

dandelO

All I can find just now on this is from this old thread here; http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4383.0
There is a better updated version that I shared somewhere here but I can only think to locate it at Ashundar in a pack of multiple files, as I said above. ^^ It is here somewhere, though.

* Sorry. Here's the other one I was on about. Last image in this post... http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4922.msg51866#msg51866

Not really the same type of UW scene but the same idea... Actually, Andy, there you are just beneath me commenting on that thread! :D

AndyWelder

@Dune: Started working on that but to no avail, I came up with nothing worthwhile so I gave up after spending all Sunday morning on finding OK cloud fractal settings.

@ dandelO: Sjeez, I need memory pills!! Those files are right on my HD and I didn't remember.... I:\Downloads\dandelO\dandelOs_Public_Library_-_Vol.2\Vol.2\Underwater\Underwater - by dandelO.tgd. Well, I paid for that by spending a beautiful sunny morning behind the keyboard.

Will take a look at them later today.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Kadri on April 05, 2011, 02:58:19 PM

When i changed the camera to look a little bit more above to the water surface (!) i didn't liked the look too much of the surface.
I downloaded this texture http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/330424 and inverted the colors.
Use this map (or any one you want) in your " image map shader 01" for your "Altacumulus layer 01" (you will get a warning because of this at first).

[attachurl=#]

I didn't messed much with this. There are probably better ways.
Or maybe some one made one like this and put it in the file sharing section already.

No postwork on this one. Rendered under 9 minutes here on my 4 cores .
The new 4 core ones will do this maybe under 4 minutes.

[attachimg=#]

The ground and color of the water on the old one is better. But i made this more for fun. I hope you have too  :)

Awesome, dunno howm I missed this back in 2011 but I have seen it now...well done.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist