Previous topic - Next topic

How many monitors do you use?

1 Monitor
18 (43.9%)
2 Monitors
19 (46.3%)
3 Monitors
3 (7.3%)
4 Monitors (taking over the world in spare time)
1 (2.4%)
5 Monitors or more (I've already taken over the world)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Oshyan

Just 1, 20" at 1600x1200 (square aspect, not widescreen). I've never really gone for the whole 2 monitor thing but I'm considering it more...

I tend to use TG maximized, as with most apps.

- Oshyan

nixx

Quote from: jo on April 14, 2011, 09:46:05 AM
Hi Hetzen,
Quote from: Hetzen on April 14, 2011, 07:40:52 AM
I like to use two node network windows open at work,
Cool, I'm glad someone uses the networks in a separate window :-).

Make that 2 "someones", Jo :)
I 'm child, and man, then child again; the boy never gets older

Mor

jaf

Quote from: Oshyan on April 14, 2011, 12:59:31 PM
Just 1, 20" at 1600x1200 (square aspect, not widescreen). I've never really gone for the whole 2 monitor thing but I'm considering it more...

I tend to use TG maximized, as with most apps.

- Oshyan

What won me over was using Photoshop with two monitors.  Putting the layers/styles/etc. windows on the second monitor really makes editing easier.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Dune

Two monitors, but also two pc's, so 1 per pc. A 24" widescreen as main work (TG2 full out and only app while I'm working at something). I tend to render at the other (faster) pc with the smaller (19") screen. Wonderful to work on one thing, and see the render grow from the corner of your eye.

Draigr

2 Monitors. I get phantom limb pain whenever I have to work in smaller resolutions or with one monitor...

Heck, I even use dual monitors for web browsing, but then, I regularly have more than fifty tabs up at once...

freelancah

2 screens since ages, swapped my dual 19" to dual 24" few years ago. Currently running them so that I have main machine using  both displays natively and server on one window with remote desktop. Works surprisingly well, you can even copy paste nodes from other computers terragen to the other and so on. There's barely any delay and it allows me to maximize the usage of my i7 920 and Q9400 quite nicely. Best bit is that only 1 mouse and keyboard is required :P

ajcgi

Quote from: jaf on April 14, 2011, 12:32:40 PM
Two at home.  I used to have them side-by-side, but due to space limitations, I had to place one above the other.  Talk about a tough learning curve; it took me the longest time to get used to moving a window on the upper display to the left to get it to the lower display (even though that's how it was done when they were side-by-side.)  My brain says "drag it straight down to the lower monitor!  :D

If you're on windows I'm pretty certain you can choose to position your monitors above each other as you describe. I know you can set them to be different heights as I use that at home, but I seem to remember seeing the option to extend a desktop upwards. May be a dream of course :S

freelancah

Yes you can do that. In windows 7 just drag the other screen on top of the other and click apply
I'm not sure about other OS but there are many applications that allow extra control for display management

Henry Blewer

I use a 23" widescreen, a 19" that came with the computer, and my TV. I voted 2 monitors because I seldom have he TV set to display from the computer.

Display Fusion is a great utility program for handling monitors, back grounds. It allows the taskbar to be on multiple monitors and makes window control much easier.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

jaf

Quote from: ajcgi on April 15, 2011, 10:45:05 AM

If you're on windows I'm pretty certain you can choose to position your monitors above each other as you describe. I know you can set them to be different heights as I use that at home, but I seem to remember seeing the option to extend a desktop upwards. May be a dream of course :S

Yes, I believe you can, but I'm using a wide screen (1680 x 1050) and 4x3 monitor.  Not sure that combination would work very well.

Anyway, I'm used to it now -- just took a while.  It's like learning to use a mouse with the opposite hand.  I'm left-handed, but most of the work stations we had had the old wired mouse that took too long to switch if I moved to another work station, so I learned to use my right hand.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

TheBlackHole

Should this be moved over to Open Discussion? BTW, I only use one monitor per computer.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

FrankB

I had two @ home once, but the eventually one of them died. I never replaced it because the workplace looked so stuffed with two monitors anyway. Now I've got just one wide screen, 1680 px wide screen. Which actually is enough, but boy, I've got to maximize TG2 obviously. No space for any floating windows.

Henry Blewer

I have floating windows on the second monitor. I usually use the Picassa viewer there also, if I am trying for something from a reference image.

Plus all the system monitoring stuff is on the second monitor.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

masonspappy

Total of 4 17 " monitors / 4 PCs.   3 on my desk (one for Terragen, one for Blender and one for xFrog) and the 4th PC sits in a corner and  acts as a server where  I store all my working files, data and plans to take over the world.  (BTW, the xFrog box also holds my 5 year old grandson's games. To play it safe, the server can not access the internet