Rescale noise...?

Started by dandelO, April 17, 2011, 07:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Ahh, great. Thanks very much, Hetzen. That explains why I wasn't able to move my CAMERA with the get frame node! :D
I had it all mixed up in my head, thinking that you were converting the actual keyframe with the 'get frame number' into a steady movement with a constant, and not just the element of the scene that's moving, I get it now, it's really great, cheers, man!

Mogn, that's cool but it isn't quite what I was meaning I don't think. The pattern isn't actually increasing in scale from the origin outwards. I am having a look at the file you uploaded in this old post; http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1414.msg14135#msg14135
This seems to be more in line with my problem but where you've altered the noise scale based on altitude, I would like to alter the scale based on distance from the origin(or even better within a 'point A' to 'point B' range).

Cheers folks! :)

dandelO

With a look at Mogn's scale-by-altitude setup I've had quite a bit of success!
I can now rescale noise along any direction so that's great. Cheers, man! :)

[attachimg=#]
[attachimg=#]
[attachimg=#]
[attachimg=#]
[attachimg=#]
[attachimg=#]

Getting there slowly...

j meyer

Cool!
Could you post a node view for the first one,please?

dandelO

[attachimg=#]

It really distorts away from the origin badly. In the snapshot the camera is 50m above the ground, any further and the stretching overtakes the scaling.

dandelO

Or use a divide scalar with an input of 10 instead of multiplying .1.
Probably makes more sense that way.

j meyer

Thankies!
At least it's a very promising starting point and it shows that
it's possible,so let's play. ;)

TheBlackHole

I wonder if, replacing the gradient with a Perlin somehow, we could use it to vary the scales of a PF.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

dandelO

Getting a bit sidetracked from the whole point I was asking about rescaling noise but it's good fun...

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

Gannaingh

Nice work on all of these! The last one looks really cool!

dandelO

A big shiny one then!

dandelO

That one is a bit ragged round the edges ^^.

Last one for now.

There's far less noise here. It's a smaller image but took the same time as the big one to render. I'll do a bigger one another time at this setting.

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

Kadri

Would like to touch it  :) Looks very nice DandelO!
And thanks for the file!

Dune

This is very interesting, Martin. You could well be doing modern church windows! Push a cave into a vertical wall, inset a vertical plane, add a light inside the cave and project your wonderful (and perhaps more colorful) pattern on the plane...

j meyer

Again very nice!
Didn't find that much time yesterday,but i think i could improve the effect a little bit
by reducing the .1 to .05 or even .025 and then connecting the mixers output to an
add scalar with a constant scalar set to 6 or 9.At least it increased the area of the
effect.But as usual the further away from the 0/0/0 point the more stretching.
Gotta play some more.