export import problem

Started by joerombie22, April 25, 2011, 08:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joerombie22

Hello I recently started using Terragen2.I posted on the forum for help in exporting terragen files to obj format for use in 3ds max,Needless to say I got some advice now I can export to 3ds max however when I import the obj file into max the terrain is gone, I get a small piece of geometry.Sometimes max tells me there is nothing to import I think I am doing something wrong on the latter.Can anybody help on this.Thanks. :)

Oshyan

Have you checked the size of your output file? If it has any size to it, then at least it should have geometry in it. If it's really large, Max may be choking on the sheer amount of geometry, in which case you should try reducing detail. What render settings have you been using (detail in particular)?

- Oshyan

joerombie22

Hello thanks for the quick response.The render settings I am using is pretty low Image width and height at 120  even tried smaller sizes 50x50.Detail is at .5.

Oshyan

Try normal image sizes and adjust detail to affect output geometry density. Did you check object file size?

- Oshyan

joerombie22

hello,Thanks again for the quick response these are the settings I tried using after your reply as you can see it is just the basic terrain.this is what I get in max.Object size 19637 KB

joerombie22

Terragen settings

goldfarb

make sure you set your Render Camera to the view that you've chosen...button at bottom left of the 3d view.
and I'd take the Far Distance way down below 1e+06 ( this is 1000000 meters)...try 1000 or less to start, with Detail setting of 0.25, then bring that obj into max and have a close look at the amount of detail you get in the geometry - remember to fuse (weld, whatever, the points/verts) then you can increase those settings to get the geometry you need.
[attachthumb=#]

rbd dynamics in Houdini test
[attachthumb=#]

[attachthumb=#]
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

joerombie22

Thank you goldfarb apparently the distance was creating the problem.It works perfectly now thanks again.RESPECT. :)

Oshyan

Good point Goldfarb, the previous exports were probably working but the scale was huge, so even foreground mountains would appear tiny. Not to mention the detail may have prevented them from being particularly identifiable. Anyway, glad you got it sorted out. :)

- Oshyan