Interesting and important (maybe) idea

Started by Lalla, April 19, 2011, 11:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lalla

From some days (sorry for my bad english... ^^) I'm trying to do something with tg2.

I think it's a very very good landscaping (and not only) program, but it has too too much things to understand.

I know that this is not a trouble for professionals, for people who work with it always, but, I think, for simple users (as me)?

Simple users, use tg2 as hobby, only for their pleasure, maybe they don't use all tg2 features, but I think that it would be important to know them.

Finding tutorials is very difficult, most links outside this forum are dead.

Then why not create a section with tutorials that explain with examples, functionality of tg2?

Section can be filled by all users that want contribute to this.

Lalla

Henry Blewer

There are many tutorials available. But maybe, more language support in the forum would be a good thing. Someway to localize and translate the text into the users native language.

Ask questions. The long time users can often remember where something has been discussed and find links to the posts. Sometimes new users, with a fresh perspective, can ask things the old timers have not explored. One of the most addictive elements of Terragen 2 is learning more!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

cyphyr

Sounds like your talking about the Terragen Wikki:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Also look in the documentation section. There's plenty there.
Your not the first to ask this and you won't be the last.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Themodman101

I understand where your coming from being a newbie myself, however there are a number of resources to look at. Admittedly not as many as some other programs like Autodesk products.

I unfortunately cant relate to the language issue as all the tuts ive found so far are in english  :-\
Some of the best learning you can do is just to mess around.. for a long time.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Themodman101 on April 20, 2011, 09:34:52 AM
Some of the best learning you can do is just to mess around.. for a long time.

Not necessarily for a long time...I've seen quite some people pick it up quickly.
It depends on 2 things:
1) one thing at a time
2) participation/interaction on the forums, mainly via sharing your work and discussing your goals and the problem in achieving them

Themodman101

Yeah well, I always feel like such a bother when I ask questions. Especially dumb ones, which is the majority of my questions.

The search function seems a little iffy as well, as some people get things I did not.

Mohawk20

Quote from: Themodman101 on April 20, 2011, 02:14:12 PM
Yeah well, I always feel like such a bother when I ask questions. Especially dumb ones, which is the majority of my questions.

Remember, there are no dumb questions!
Since asking questions is a smart thing to do, and you get smarter from it, all questions are good questions!
So ask!
Howgh!

Draigr

Pressing buttons randomly works too. The terragen guys have done a great job of picking good names for things and most of it explains itself, although... given, it would be nice to see tooltips. Especially for those pesky haze functions...

Regardless. So far as professional rendering products go, Terragen is one of the easier to learn, just because most of the basics can be done with sliders, and lots of patience. When you get to the more complicated stuff, you can always ask the forum goers.

Also, there's that lovely thing about asking questions and reading through the tutorials available in the wiki. That covers most of the ones i've found and they're usually enough to get you up to scratch on the program functions. After that, it's creativity and time spent testing and pressing random buttons.

That's my usual method anyway. Ordered chaos, learn the function, the tweak till it crys and does what you want it to.

max_thehitman

I have just started to use Terragen2 this week. I personally have found alot of great tutorials and
mini-tutorials posted by members throughout this forum. Everyone seems to be very very helpful
towards this community of good friends and artists, which is great. I have learned alot and have been trying
my best to create some scenes already.
If language is a problem, there is always Altavista Babel-fish translater to help out in translating text to your
native language and so many others. Takes a little patience.
I speak and write English, Spanish, and Portuguese, so if you need a little help from me, just ask.
Cheers
MAX

bla bla 2