Depth Charge - Animation

Started by dandelO, May 15, 2011, 01:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Cheers, all.

Martin. I played with many different AA settings with this, the most reasonable results(considering render times) turned out to be AA=4. Although the atmosphere is very thick, it's the displacements and the annoying lack of back face culling that raised the render times for this quite drastically, due to the micro polygon rendering of the surfaces that is required.
I ended up masking out the area to be rendered with a simple shape shader, in the opacity channel of a default shader, to only render as far as was in view of the camera and the visibility decay of the clouds. Even then, any frame where the canyons were in front of the camera(about 3/4 of the entire sequence) required the equivalent of rendering the same area twice, due to the canyons in the distance rendering before anything else did.

The atmosphere in the animation version is still a little grainy because I used 4(1/4 first samples) simply for quickness, or I'd probably still be rendering. :)
In the larger single frames, AA=6(also at default 1/4) gave the best results, quicker than AA=4(max) by about a third with RTA, and almost, but not quite, as noise-free.

The pixel sampler is great, I liked your experiments with clouds the other day, although, I've never managed to be able to argue '0.05' quality out of the clouds! Good job. I never usually use max AA samples if I go higher than AA=4, it's just too time consuming for me here in most cases. 16 samples all round is normally enough, any more and the RT renderer goes too slow.
In most cases, for me, AA=6(default sampling), gives nearly the same quality as AA=4(max), and it's quicker. It's entirely scene-dependant, though. If there's only sky, you can even squeeze nice enough clouds with AA=1! The ground will be horrid, though! :D

Tangled-Universe

Ah right, funny to see that in your case AA6 default is faster than AA4 max.
In my experience the difference is mostly in favour of AA4, but in your case it seems the other way around.

The (lack of) backface culling is indeed a problem and render-intensive.
It would be cool to be able to coarsely cache the geometry which absolutely won't be rendered to remove a lot of the backfaces, somehow/something like that.

Just thinking...can't you mask out distant stuff by using a distance shader connected to your default shader's opacity input?
The projection camera = render camera, so that would move along.

dandelO

Funny, I did that very thing to remove the stones from rendering in the distance too. It doesn't work in the opacity channel with a gradient, though, So I just combined the two to get a small rectangular patch in space with some blending out of the stones by distance as well.
It turned out really no quicker to blend out the stones, maybe I could have made it a closer cut off and it would have been a bit faster, you can see it reaches a bit far here. I eventually removed the distance shader blending for most of the rendering.

Tangled-Universe

Yeah it's sorta "known" that blending out stones in the distance is actually slower than not doing it.
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=10445.0

What I meant to say is to blend out any distant un-rendered terrain by a distance-shader.

dandelO

V.2 can be viewed at 768x480px.

Extra special thanks to Neon22 who rendered this sequence for me at extremely high quality, with not a popping-stone in sight!
Thank you, kind Sir! :)

Watch on Vimeo.

dandelO

I wonder if the shadow popping could have been avoided or, were my ray-clouds just moving too fast over each frame?
The displacements are pretty perfect from start to finish.