Grand Canyon images

Started by Lalla, April 27, 2011, 05:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lalla

I don't know how I have obtained this...  :P
This is only a wip image.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you agreed, I'm very glad to share here a sorta of tutorial.
Lalla

max_thehitman

That looks mighty nice! I like it.
Any tutorial is a great tutorial, as I usually say, so its always most welcomed by us guys just starting out.
Please show us the new tricks and tips!  8)

Lalla

Final image:

Size 1280*960; Render time: 2 h 33 m

Lalla

Lalla

Quote from: max_thehitman on April 27, 2011, 02:02:00 PM

That looks mighty nice! I like it.
Any tutorial is a great tutorial, as I usually say, so its always most welcomed by us guys just starting out.
Please show us the new tricks and tips!  8)

I've noticed that slope below are too much tall, I want to decrease them a bit. I'm studying how do this... :)
After, I'll post a tutorial.
Lalla

max_thehitman

Size 1280*960; Render time: 2 h 33 m  :o

You hae a super-computer?!?
It would probably take me about 10+ hours to render an image that size  :P
I defenitly have to get a new pc, or tweak my images to have good resolution without taking so long.

Lalla

Quote from: max_thehitman on April 27, 2011, 09:17:14 PM
Size 1280*960; Render time: 2 h 33 m  :o

You hae a super-computer?!?
It would probably take me about 10+ hours to render an image that size  :P
I defenitly have to get a new pc, or tweak my images to have good resolution without taking so long.

Not a super pc, but a good pc, assembled for graphic use... ;) 4 gb ram, 1 tb hd, nvdia geforce 8800, intel core duo (but now I wish (maybe... ;)) a quad core...), asus motherboard...
Lalla

Lalla

Someone can help me understand on how decrease strata height?
For this type of view is very very awful and I don't want increase water level to hide them... :)

I've attached also tgd file and now I'm uploading ter file.
I put a link here if you want download, it's 128 mb.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=85DLK54A
Lalla

goldfarb

hard layer steepness is what you're looking for I think...
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

Tangled-Universe

Here's an overview of the strata shader's settings:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/docs/tg2/noderef/window_7_2_10.html?MenuState=HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEAAAABEAAABAEAAAAcAAAcVVVFAAEQAAB

In your case you can decrease spacing, but also increase octaves.
In any case I think you should try to make the strata effect less extreme than it is now.
That would mean to reduce the build-up and steepness for instance.

On the other hand, you should realize that a hard layer spacing of 200m (default) isn't suitable for a 600m tall terrain because that would be divided in 3 principal layers of rock and thus giving an extreme effect.

Lalla

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on April 28, 2011, 07:39:17 AM
Here's an overview of the strata shader's settings:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/docs/tg2/noderef/window_7_2_10.html?MenuState=HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEAAAABEAAABAEAAAAcAAAcVVVFAAEQAAB

In your case you can decrease spacing, but also increase octaves.
In any case I think you should try to make the strata effect less extreme than it is now.
That would mean to reduce the build-up and steepness for instance.

On the other hand, you should realize that a hard layer spacing of 200m (default) isn't suitable for a 600m tall terrain because that would be divided in 3 principal layers of rock and thus giving an extreme effect.

This is outcrops shader settings:

Can you help me change them? I'm trying but rendering's very awful.

Lalla

Tangled-Universe

The steepness is 33? You should really lower that,...
Try something like 0.6 steepness and 0.4 buildup, or the other way around.
If you want the strata to be smaller, then reduce layer spacing. From 200 to 80 for instance.

Try different settings, change one at a time(!!!) and make crop renders(!) to find out what each setting really does and how you can make best use of them.

Good luck!

Lalla

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on April 28, 2011, 01:41:54 PM
The steepness is 33? You should really lower that,...
Try something like 0.6 steepness and 0.4 buildup, or the other way around.
If you want the strata to be smaller, then reduce layer spacing. From 200 to 80 for instance.

Try different settings, change one at a time(!!!) and make crop renders(!) to find out what each setting really does and how you can make best use of them.

Good luck!

I do it!!! ;)

Thanks for help...

Lalla

Tangled-Universe

There's a fractal (or two, or three...I can't know) which create these zillions of spikes and make it surrealistic (perhaps that's what you're after).
You could try to pinpoint/isloate them (by disabling parts of your network and crop render and compare differences) and tune their settings.
I think you're having relatively small scales (compared to the scene) displaced relatively much (compared to the scale of the fractal).

Lalla

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on April 28, 2011, 02:21:08 PM
There's a fractal (or two, or three...I can't know) which create these zillions of spikes and make it surrealistic (perhaps that's what you're after).
You could try to pinpoint/isloate them (by disabling parts of your network and crop render and compare differences) and tune their settings.
I think you're having relatively small scales (compared to the scene) displaced relatively much (compared to the scale of the fractal).

These are power fractal shader settings:

Lalla

Tangled-Universe

The displacement factor settings are in the displacement tab to the right...
What I meant to say is that you shouldn't use a displacement factor of 10 (for example) when the feature scale is 1m, because that would obviously cause spiky displacements, 10m tall and 1m wide.

I'm not going to spoon feed you on what to do exactly ;)