RENDER times

Started by doneydonydone, March 30, 2007, 11:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

I don't think anyone with render time as a concern can really make any serious judgment about TG2's applicability to their needs without testing the final release on their own hardware. For that you'll just have to wait until later in the year. But I do think that expecting a modern graphics application to perform well on a 3+ year old machine is asking a bit much. TG2 is a high-end program and will work best with high-end hardware, but even a modest amount of money could get you a significantly faster machine for TG2 and many other tasks. You can get an entry-level Core 2 Duo which will outperform your current machine by more than 2 times for under $1000 these days.

- Oshyan

MeltingIce

I can't wait until polymorphic computers start hitting the mainstream market.  Raytheon made one but apparently they aren't going to release it for a couple of years.  If you don't know, a polymorphic computer is one that can dynamically change its architecture on the fly in order to provide more power for back end calculations or front end user needs.  Apparently the CPU Raytheon built is 10x more powerful than an Intel Quad Core Xeon  :o

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

old_blaggard

10x?  Wow, that's impressive :D.  I'm really interested in all of these alternate computing ideas (quantum, biological, polymorphic), but I'm not sure how well they will take off considering the fact that current mainstream architectures are already so entrenched.  It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds, though.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Oshyan

I wouldn't put too much faith in the value of polymorphic computing on the desktop. Almost inherently by design a polymorphic computer will never be as powerful at a specific task as a dedicated processor would be because you will always lose some power in exchange for flexibility. The very fact that reconfiguration is necessary means there must be some overhead in doing so.

The "10x" number is stated but completely without reference to the workload. 10x faster than a quad core Xeon is completely unsurprising for certain kinds of tasks where even low-cost stand-alone processors can do the same or better. So without knowing what kind of task(s) they're talking about it's largely meaningless.

The main value of such a processor is for applications where the workload changes over time or where significantly different types of tasks would be performed and where both power efficiency and space are a concern. The biggest advantage for these situations is that you can use fewer discreet processors - perhaps even only 1 - thus saving space and power. But performance is generally not going to be the driving force for using this sort of technology. There's some more discussion on this here: http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/21/2015245

Note that Cell already outperforms the stated abilities of their prototype chip and of course it's already in production. Although I wouldn't pin a lot of hope on Cell on the desktop either, you at least have a better chance of seeing that and getting better performance out of it than you do of polymorphic computers revolutionizing the desktop computer. They'd be great for palm or cell phone computing though, due to the lower power use and ability to perform for example GPU-type calculations when necessary...

- Oshyan