Terragen 2 Best Image Gallery?

Started by jbest, May 04, 2011, 12:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

I also agree with Martin and Franck, for the same reasons.
Richard
(anyway as I have no friends, no-one would ever vote for me) :'( :'( boo hoo shuffle sniff
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 10, 2011, 08:38:08 AM
I like the submission idea Oshyan.

However, I'm not fond of a voting system.
I'm glad this community is open and honest (mostly) and I'm afraid such voting systems for whatever will bias things towards a Renderosity environment.
Not my game anymore if I may speak for myself.

Cheers,
Martin
Quote from: cyphyr on May 10, 2011, 08:57:31 AM
I also agree with Martin and Franck, for the same reasons.
Richard
(anyway as I have no friends, no-one would ever vote for me) :'( :'( boo hoo shuffle sniff
Quote from: Seth on May 10, 2011, 08:48:46 AM
I agree with Martin.
The voting stuff is not a good idea.
it will finish as friends voting for friends.

AGREED!!!!  :D
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Dune

I see your points, gentlemen, but how can we assure the best image gallery isn't going to be filled with 'the worst ever render'? And what should a TG2 render have to be a TG2 render? Objects allowed, I assume, but post work to what degree....? Sizes?

dandelO

I don't think it matters what objects or pre/postwork is involved. If it's a good enough image and has clearly been made with the use of TG then it should get the credit it deserves. It's not as if all the movies and features on the website's front page have been entirely rendered in TG, know?
Obviously, a collection of Photoshop filters laid on top of a mediocre TG render isn't going to make the grade but you can't really exclude post-worked images from the running. I think, anyway.

j meyer

I also agree,no voting please!
As for the gallery:how about a User Gallery? Everyones images in a collection of their own.
That way you could decide for yourself so to speak.
Another option would be to open up sketchbook/gallery threads and,again,it would be up
to oneself what and how.
Just a thought ;).

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on May 10, 2011, 09:43:01 AM

lol Jay, do you have a phrase-specific alarm enabled for these forums which goes off when "voting" and "renderosity" are being mentioned? ;)  :D

Seth

huhuhuhu that was exactly what I thought when I saw his post !
hey Jay, do you still do some TG2 renders ? I miss them...

Henry Blewer

A gallery of great renders sorted by user would be a good idea. It gives people something more to aspire to and for. Like the NWDA contests of the past years.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

sjefen

A submitting thing would be cool, but if this is gonna happen there has to be some sort of voting.
The best thing would probably be for the Planetside team to accept or not accept images in to the gallery.
Or maybe a selected small team here from the forum  ;)

Of course it's not fun to submit an image and then get notified it will not be accepted in to the gallery, but that's
just how it is. If your gonna submit an image to the official image gallery you must set the bar high for yourself.

Regards,
Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Oshyan

For the official Planetside Software website gallery, it really has to be "hand-picked" images by Planetside staff as it represents our software in a somewhat official capacity.

We're not planning to have a general user gallery as we feel there are many other places with great image hosting options that we can't hope to match and it would take a lot of time and resources just to provide a basic service, let alone match the others. The Image Sharing area here is a nice basic option that allows for sharing your work, either with limited attachment sizes, or by linking to larger off-site images. It's a good balance of easy and simple to use, and minimal impact on our staff and resources.

My focus for the future of the Planetside Gallery will be on better presentation and integration with our site, and more frequent updates (again possibly facilitated by a submission system, but images will still be picked by Planetside staff from those submissions).

- Oshyan

Kevin F

I get the feeling the boss has spoken.

Oshyan

Quote from: Kevin F on May 10, 2011, 02:34:08 PM

I'm certainly not intending to stifle any further discussion. We're always open to feedback from our community of course. Our position on an open user gallery has been the same for as long as I can remember and that's not likely to change. But we do want to serve our community as best we can and there may be other solutions that also strike a good balance.

- Oshyan

jbest

This has gotten interesting. :)

Ok, no voting seems fine, actually. I do think, though, that it would be nice to have a place for the best pictures on the forum here. On BlenderArtists they actually link the pictures in the forum gallery to the thread so that not only can you see the picture on the thread, but also see the comments and critiques (not just a picture) and also maybe see the picture get better gradually. Just another thought, feel free to express yourself.

If anyone has ever visited CGsociety you know that pictures are submitted as well, and the moderators can choose to submit them into the 3d stills or not. That's a little different though compared to here, since Cgsociety submissions are for every picture that gets into the forum, and this would be just for a forum gallery. The problem is, Oshyan and the bosses would probably stagger under the weight of picture submissions. Anyway ...
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

Kevin F

Quote from: Oshyan on May 10, 2011, 02:49:31 PM
Quote from: Kevin F on May 10, 2011, 02:34:08 PM

I'm certainly not intending to stifle any further discussion. We're always open to feedback from our community of course. Our position on an open user gallery has been the same for as long as I can remember and that's not likely to change. But we do want to serve our community as best we can and there may be other solutions that also strike a good balance.

- Oshyan

Didn't think you were, and by boss I meant Matt.

Henry Blewer

Terragen.org Ashudar, has a great place to submit art. I think Terranauts also has this.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T