Vers 2.3 won't run

Started by domdib, May 07, 2011, 05:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domdib

Updated to vers. 2.3. Checked that licence file is where it should be. Installed as Admin. It seemed to install OK, but whenever I try to launch it says (see attached screenshot)
Then, when I click to close, I get a pop-up about Data Execution Prevention.

Here is what event viewer comes up with:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          07/05/2011 21:57:33
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      XXXXXXXXXX
Description:
Faulting application tgd.exe, version 2.3.20.1, time stamp 0x4d9e2378, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x12b92040, process id 0x123c, application start time 0x01cc0cf95fe111ed.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
 <System>
   <Provider Name="Application Error" />
   <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
   <Level>2</Level>
   <Task>100</Task>
   <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
   <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-05-07T20:57:33.000Z" />
   <EventRecordID>11572</EventRecordID>
   <Channel>Application</Channel>
   <Computer>XXXXX</Computer>
   <Security />
 </System>
 <EventData>
   <Data>tgd.exe</Data>
   <Data>2.3.20.1</Data>
   <Data>4d9e2378</Data>
   <Data>unknown</Data>
   <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
   <Data>00000000</Data>
   <Data>c0000005</Data>
   <Data>12b92040</Data>
   <Data>123c</Data>
   <Data>01cc0cf95fe111ed</Data>
 </EventData>
</Event>

Incidentally, the Free version (2.2) works just fine. Any ideas?

Edit: Should have mentioned Vista Business 32-bit.

Kadri

Domdib , did you downloaded the right version ? You can only use the 32 bit one.
I don't know how you installed it.
I use the free version and there are no downloads for 2.3  32 bit or 64 bit for now in the TG2 web site .
I don't think that this is your problem but just in case  :)

domdib

Thanks Kadri, I have the 32-bit version.

Oshyan

Odd. DEP should usually only run on "Essential Windows Programs and Services". Have you changed that setting? You could *try* changing it to "all programs except the ones I specify" and then add TG2 as an exception. You might also try some of the compatibility modes. But regardless it's pretty odd. First thing of course is to try a full uninstall and reinstall.

- Oshyan

domdib

Curiouser and curiouser - when I tried to make Terragen an exception to DEP, it told me that "This program must run with DEP enabled. You cannot turn off DEP for this program". And I was logged on as Administrator.

Then I tried uninstall and re-install - same result as before.

Help!

PabloMack

What processor do you have? Perhaps PS started putting in SE instructions that your processor doesn't support.

domdib

Oshyan

I'm not aware of having added any processor-specific optimizations that wouldn't work on an Athlon 64. Could be something the compiler is doing, but I would think we'd have more reports of it. This is very odd. Can you try running it in Compatibility Mode, maybe XP compatible or something? Also of course make sure all drivers are up to date.

- Oshyan

domdib

I tried running it in XP Mode and Windows 95 mode - still the same problem.

What drivers would you recommend I update?? Also, remember that the Free version (v.2.2) is still working. Should I try uninstalling that?

Oshyan

Definitely try uninstalling the 2.2 free version. For drivers, mostly the graphics card driver seems to often have a big effect at times. It's certainly odd that 2.2 would work and 2.3 wouldn't, however it's possible some OGL changes were made that have fun afoul of a graphics driver issue.

- Oshyan

domdib

I've uninstalled all existing copies of TG2, including the Free version. Re-installed 2.3. I'm afraid it still won't start - same symptom - Data Execution Protection.

Also, I have the latest version of the graphics driver for my Radeon Mobility Xpress 1150.

Oshyan

Hmm. Let me try sending you a zip file of the 2.3.20.1 version already installed. Just extract it and run the exe. Let's see if that works...

- Oshyan