a bad, crummy morning-Update

Started by Zairyn Arsyn, May 10, 2011, 01:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zairyn Arsyn

I'm feeling down right now, & at a bit of a loss.

my ipod classic which i use for listening to music at my job & as a portable HD, apparently either deleted all my music (2300+ tracks) and files when i did a reset on it - OR the ipod software/file system had a major glitch, because even though there is nothing on it, its telling there is no free space available in the about menu.
i cant get it to sync with iTunes either, though it shows up in my computer

spent some of the the morning getting tech support.
now looking into ipod data recovery software, maybe that will help

as for the music- i keep a mp3 dvd which i made 2 or more years ago at for times like this... temporary fix.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

max_thehitman

Don´t feel that bad , just this past week my old (very old) computer finally blew
up on me after 8 years of hard labour. That thing was a truly great workhorse and used to
be running 12 hours or more on a daily basis. The Asus motherboard finally surrendered and died.
May it rest in peace  :P LOL  But many parts from it were saved.
I was already expecting it to flizzle out any day now, so two weeks ago I was passing all my
files into a portable Harddrive system for safe-keeping as I usually do. I have 4 portable terabyte
HDs, so its money well spent to save your good stuff in case something goes wrong with your pc.
Now I got me a better computer and decided to include an extra HD disk into it with 1 terabyte
just so I can keep saving things up without worries. I have about 600+ gigs of music, so it would be
a real headache if I lost any of those albums and songs.
A few months ago I found an iPod in the grass in one of my daily walks through the park. Its
a pretty cool gadget and has about 80 gigs in it, but I hardly use it.
The main problem with iPods ,which I read in some reviews, is that when the battery dies out or some other little problem, all
your music gets deleted and you must once again restore all your tunes into it again. So that is
a real bummer and not so good for iPod publicity.
I reccomend that you buy yourself one of these more modern cell-phones that you can use as a walkman,and comes with a built in speaker system.
I got one and I installed a memory card that can store up to 1000+ tunes into it. Its easy to use,
its also easy to install new tunes into it from your pc (all tunes in either Mp3 or Flac) and its also a cool
3G cellphone, it even has internet on it! iPods don´t have that.
With the iPod gadget you must first convert all our music to fit into it. Another troublesome thing to do.
Forget about the iPod.
Get something more practical and have a better day!

Kadri

Zaai999 i don't know if this helps but...

Last year:
# One video card did go bad 3 times in a row . Then they sent a new one on the last time.
# One mainboard died with sparkles and smoke . Really ! They changed it.
# One PSU died. Bought a new one.
# I bought at 2 different times 4gb DDR2 ram (2x2) but the Asus mainboard  did not liked them (i wanted 8 GB but can use still only 4 GB ram on the mainboard ). I still have the last ones . Anyone (KVR800D2N6K2/4G Kingston)  :) ?
# The oldest CRT monitor (19" LG) died 3 weeks ago. Bought a new Led LCD 22" Philips .
# I have now 3 bad Hard Disks at home. The last one is a 1.5 TB Samsung . I bought especially not Seagate because of their bad reputation in the last years. It has guaranty . But installing Windows 7 and all the other apps ones more ... I did a HD migrate especially to not to install all of them ones more :(
All of the 3 Hard disk failed  in the last year ( Western Digital (250 GB). Seagate (250 GB)) .  I had only one bad HD in the last 20 years until now . I think that old one was Maxtor ...
# I lost the count of keyboard , mouse , headphones and speaker problems. I really feel they are negligible after so much bad luck.

These are from 3 Computers , not one . I had some strange problems with computers in the past , but this last year was really bad!
Schadenfreude anyone ?   :)

Zairyn Arsyn

well kadri, you beat me on this one...  :D
you win.  :)

i should have mentioned i still have music on my computer(s) and on other backup DVDs

the PC i have now i got in the spring of 2008, and the only problems i have had with it were external, the bezel door on the front of my case came off and only one of the 2 usb ports i have on the front works.

i felt down because i was deprived of the usual music i was so used to having, i have a Emusic.com account and i usually download music from them on a monthly/weekly basis.
i was also concerned about all the data i had on there - some of it were renders and various other files 
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W

Kadri

And now :
# "We're sorry, eMusic is not available in your country." LOL !

Good to see you better Zaai999  ;)

Henry Blewer

Lane, it sounds like what on an old Amiga is an open file error. This would wreck the data on a disk. If you can look at the drive, see if there isn't a file error or something that looks screwy with one of the files. Delete it. I hope this helps.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Zairyn Arsyn

i tried plugging it in/sync'ing it yesterday and and it did not show up in iTunes, nor could i view the files on it with explorer.
still need to try and see if a ipod data retrieval program would help, never got around to it last night.

Zairyn Arsyn

i have'nt given up on this yet.  :)

last night i downloaded File Restore Professional to see if my stuff was actually on the ipod, and could be accessed and retrieved.
it scanned my ipod for about 3 hours, and sure enough my files were there!
though i was just using the evaluation version of the program, so i could'nt actually transfer them.

but now im looking into if there are any other similar free file recovery softwares

Kadri

There are many file recovery softwares  , but this did the job in my last HD crash for me .
http://www.piriform.com/recuva/features
It says ipod there too . But be cautious , zaai999!
If your data is important to you , you may be better to use a good and payed software (not that they always are better) !

Zairyn Arsyn

i actually tried recuva last night, no luck,
i'll keep looking