Trying to go for the ultimate machine. Good read.

Started by matrix2003, April 28, 2011, 08:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

OK. I will definitely test TG2. I can even create a USB boot drive with 32 bit Linux and Wine. I know TG2 works under Wine. There was only one issue with icons not there and the little colour block previews (this was the annoying part). There was a bit of render slow down compared to Windows but not huge.

The 64 bit sounds interesting. I have TG2 but haven't followed what is happening with it lately. Apparently I can in fact run TG2 32 bit in wine on a 64 bit Linux system. I've also read that you can run 64 bit apps with this. This is very confusing. As far as I understood it, Wine was currently 32 bits.

efflux

It seems there is in fact a 64 bit wine now but what state this is in remains to be seen.

Wine 32 bit is pretty much sorted now. Most apps work fine.

efflux

Get 16 GB of RAM. I haven't tried TG2. Not sure if I can in 64 bit but judging by experiments here using masses of trees in Blender, if TG2 can handle huge mesh data you want huge RAM. I only got 8 GB and I wish I'd got 16.

I think the i7 2600 is the best bang for the buck processor ever. Performance here is phenomenal.

I can also load gigs of data into RAM in seconds from SSD.

Gimp utterly devastates Corel Painter running on my Macbook.