Smoothing of imported 3d objects

Started by Fierys, December 23, 2006, 10:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fierys

How to smooth imported 3d objects? If it isn't possible now, will the function be implemented in the final version od TG2?

MeltingIce

Its not possible now to smooth the object in TG2, but it is something they are considering adding.  If you have a separate 3D modeling/rendering program, smooth it before exporting the object to TG2.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Fierys

red_planet

When you say it doesn't work.. do you mean that subdivision smoothing applied in the original program is not reflected in the render through TG2 ?

I imported a model from blender, having applied the sub div smoothing in blender before exporting and it worked fine.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=124.0

Rgds

Chris

Fierys

When you subdivide a cube it becomes a sphere. So subdividing has no sense if you want the object to keep its original shape.

red_planet

Do you have an example of what you're trying to import ?

Rgds

Chris

AndyCocker

Quote from: red_planet on December 23, 2006, 04:13:57 PM
When you say it doesn't work.. do you mean that subdivision smoothing applied in the original program is not reflected in the render through TG2 ?

I imported a model from blender, having applied the sub div smoothing in blender before exporting and it worked fine.

Applying sub div in Blender won't smooth the surface normals, though it will of course create a smoother object overall depending on your underlying vertices. You have to use Set Smooth for a smooth surface (ie smoothly interpolated faces). Anyway, doing so won't help, as in my tests the resulting models faces were clearly visible, ie not smoothed when rendered in TG2 TP.

Incidentally, I exported from Blender as OBJ.

I haven't thoroughly tested this, but that's my experience. Perhaps the object you exported from Blender would appear less smooth if you viewed it much closer?

Regards,

Andy Cocker

Fierys

This is a sample you ask for.

AndyCocker

Quote from: Fierys on December 23, 2006, 04:49:43 PM
This is a sample you ask for.

Difficult to tell, but it looks to me like each individual face or quad is visible, ie no smoothing. The areas that look really smooth perhaps just have really small faces. Is the helmet supposed to smooth?

What do you think?

Regards,

Andy Cocker

Fierys

The faces on the helmet are clearly visible and the helmet should be smooth. This is why there is a need for smoothing objects or their parts.

AndyCocker

Quote from: Fierys on December 23, 2006, 05:00:45 PM
The faces on the helmet are clearly visible and the helmet should be smooth. This is why there is a need for smoothing objects or their parts.

Sorry Fierys, I thought I was talking to red_planet.. got a little confused  ???

I was agreeing.. smooth mesh not working.

Regards,

Andy Cocker

Oshyan

Nice Mars image there. :D

Proper object smoothing for renders will be implemented in the future, before the final release.

- Oshyan

Fierys

JavaJones, thank you for the explanation. Good to hear that the option will be implemented.

red_planet

to andy..

I think I was just lucky that my model was fairly high poly anyway....

to fierys... have you tried raising the poly count in your modeller before exporting ?

Rgds

Chris

bobbystahr

Is anyone using Wings3D, the other free sub-d modeller out there. I've heard it even writes a comprehendable .mtl file so it should come in textured as well. Small jump from Blender to Wings3D...maybe give that a try...
pax et lux
bobbystahr
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist