Reverse painted shader?

Started by TheBadger, May 17, 2011, 02:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

I would like to know if I can paint out a layer the way I can paint one in. I am working on the base for a matte Panting now, and think I will have a better time panting clouds out where I don't want them, rather than trying to pant them in where I do.

Is this possible? And if so, will some one please walk me through it.
If its not possible is it something that planetside will make available in the future.

Thanks
It has been eaten.

neuspadrin

Simply use the painted shader as normal as a "blend by shader" part.  Under that should be a check box for "Invert blendshader".  That should do it. Then simply paint as you said, painting where you don't want clouds.

This is often useful for me when doing things like paths.  I use the paint shader of the path for dirt, rocks, etc.  Then I invert it and use the other one for grass, tree, etc populations.

Tangled-Universe

In general you can "reverse" painted- or blend-shaders by choosing "invert blendshader" in the shadernode you're attaching your painted shader to (or blendshader of any type).
Exactly as Neuspadrin says, that's the easiest way.

If you don't want clouds to appear somewhere then paint a white mask in photoshop and black dots where you don't want to have clouds appear.
Load that mask into an imagemap shader and choose "through camera" as projection method, which it is by default.
Use that imagemap shader as blendshader for your cloudfractal.
To avoid troubles make sure the image has the same aspect ratio as your final image and that the camera FOV is horizontal when you have a landscape image and vertical FOV for portrait image, otherwise you might possibly run into clipping issues.

TheBadger

QuoteIf you don't want clouds to appear somewhere then paint a white mask in photoshop and black dots where you don't want to have clouds appear.
Load that mask into an imagemap shader and choose "through camera" as projection method, which it is by default.
Interesting! 

Thanks guys I'll try it out.
It has been eaten.