Strata Outcrops help?

Started by Pentagular Dark, May 11, 2011, 08:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pentagular Dark

I'm making a desert in terragen 2 and I can't get the Strata only on the slopes without completely removing them.

Any suggestions?  ???
GAH!!! Don't look down here! Look at the posts man!

Henry Blewer

You can use the 'Blend by shader' at the bottom of the strata control. A simple way is to use a power fractal with the right scale and lead-in scale. A better way is to use the Distribution shader. This also has a 'Blend by shader', and offers very good control.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Pentagular Dark

I was using a distribution shader alone, I also tried surface layers. Thats were my problem is.

Matt

The slope controls in the Distribution Shader or Surface Layer need the surface normal to have been calculated somewhere higher up the chain. This is usually done with the Compute Terrain node. In a standard setup this means that any shaders in the Shaders layout will have a calculated normal, but anything in the Terrain layout won't. If you need slope information before the Compute Terrain, you can use a Compute Normal node. However, this increases the time needed to calculate shaders above the Compute Normal by a factor of 3.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Pentagular Dark

Hmmm... I'll try that, mabye I'll find something else.

EDIT: Actually you only need to plug the terrain you need into the distribution shader's input node and set the slope key to Final Normal. No second compute needed!