.bmp to .jpg conversion

Started by choronr, June 09, 2011, 06:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on June 10, 2011, 06:55:37 PM
XnView gives a nice realtime update of the visual quality and resulting file size. It also gives you more options to play with than even modern Photoshop (CS5) with Save for Web. I loves my XnView. ;D

- Oshyan
Trying to follow your steps in XnView but unable to find the stuff (sorry, sometimes I'm a spoon eater):

File->Export OK
Go to JPG tab (if not already there) OPENED THE .BMP AND SAVED AS A .JPG
Quality to 90 or 95 if necessary WHERE DO I FIND THIS?
Change DCT method to "Float (best but slowest)" WHERE DO I FIND THIS?
Smoothing factor 0 WHERE DO I FIND THIS?
Subsampling factor to "1x1, 1x1, 1x1 (best quality)" WHERE DO I FIND THIS?
Progressive enabled (you don't have to use progressive, it won't really affect quality, but can make slightly smaller file size on large images) WHERE DO I FIND THIS?
Optimize Huffman table enabled WHERE DO I FIND THIS?

Sorry, I realize you have more important things to do; but, if you can, I'd appreciate the above how to. Thanks.

Oshyan

I guess I left out a step (I sort of assumed that part): you have to open the image in XnView first. Then go to File->Export and follow the steps. You do *not* want to "open the BMP and save as JPG". Export *is* save. But again the file has to be *open* first to Export it.

- Oshyan

choronr

Again, thanks for your support. I'll have another go at it and get back later with the results. Really appreciate this Oshyan.

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on June 10, 2011, 07:07:11 PM
I guess I left out a step (I sort of assumed that part): you have to open the image in XnView first. Then go to File->Export and follow the steps. You do *not* want to "open the BMP and save as JPG". Export *is* save. But again the file has to be *open* first to Export it.

- Oshyan
Clarification please: When you say 'open the image in XnView first', I assume you mean the .bmp I saved as a result of my render; correct?

Oshyan

Yes, correct. Open the BMP that you wish to save/export to JPG.

- Oshyan

choronr

Thanks Oshyan; now to dinner and then back again ...laters.

choronr

File>export (I opened the .bmp file)
Open .jpg tab ( ? ) see below - the encircled is grayed out.

Oshyan

I don't understand what you're asking about. You have a BMP open in your screenshot. The grayed out icon is just the "lossless JPEG transformation" function and it's not available because you have a BMP open, not a JPG.

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on June 10, 2011, 08:38:28 PM
I don't understand what you're asking about. You have a BMP open in your screenshot. The grayed out icon is just the "lossless JPEG transformation" function and it's not available because you have a BMP open, not a JPG.

- Oshyan
And, you said: 'Yes, correct. Open the BMP that you wish to save/export to JPG.'. (opened in XnView)

Earlier in your explanation, you said next: 'Go to JPG tab'.

So I opened the program; opened the .bmp; and, looked for the tab - and a tab isn't there because a .bmp is open. ???

This beginning to sound like the Abbott and Costelo's 'Who's on First'.

Kadri

XnView does have 2 modes : Browser and Viewer (like an editor i think)
I use double click with the "Left Mouse Button" or "Enter" to change between modes.
I change mostly the keys and the appearance so you have to search for it if it is different .
In viewer mode you get then what i posted here when you go to "File" then "Export" in the menu bar.

Oshyan

This is basically what I said above: you have to open the image in XnView first (which you seem to have done) then go to File->Export and follow the steps outlined previously. Now that you've opened the image, it's the step of going to the File menu, then choosing Export, that you seem to be missing. The JPG tab is only visible once you're in the export dialog, the steps have to be followed in strict order.

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on June 10, 2011, 10:27:52 PM
This is basically what I said above: you have to open the image in XnView first (which you seem to have done) then go to File->Export and follow the steps outlined previously. Now that you've opened the image, it's the step of going to the File menu, then choosing Export, that you seem to be missing. The JPG tab is only visible once you're in the export dialog, the steps have to be followed in strict order.

- Oshyan
Thank you Oshyan and Kadri,

Just after reading your message Oshyan, I went back and opened the ,bmp image; then, went to file - and there it was 'Export'. I tell you truly, the last times I tried it, Export was not there.

Now that it did work, a double window came up. From there, I will now follow through with your suggested sequence Oshyan, and see if I can reach the goal.

Thanks Oshyan for putting up with me. I'll be back to tell you that it worked (hopefully).

Bob

Oshyan

Hehe, glad you sorted it out. Now, I hope it helps in the end! ;D

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on June 10, 2011, 11:56:50 PM
Hehe, glad you sorted it out. Now, I hope it helps in the end! ;D

- Oshyan
Glory be ...it worked. In my excitement, I saved it unintentionally to Irfanview - meant to save it to my .jpg files under Terragen2.

So you now see I cannot chew gum and walk at the same time ...comes with age!

Tangled-Universe

Ghehe, you're awesome Bob ;D
Deep respect for you, I hope I will end up as vivid as you if I'll make it at your age :)