Something about the red rock

Started by ajcgi, June 15, 2011, 12:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajcgi

For the first time ever I'm uploading something to here. I have a short gap in work whilst I wait on something, so here I am. ;)
Not sure where I am going with this. Some basic colour correction done as I overdid the oranges and red somewhat.

[attachthumb=#]

mesocyclone

Wow! Beautiful!!
Redirect shader??  ;D

ajcgi

Cheers,
the sideways displacement elements were created with a power fractal going into the scale of a perlin 3D scalar, into a displacement shader set to displace lateral only.

inkydigit

very nice, maybe some sandy shaders and some rocks on the ground next?

ajcgi

Hmmm indeedy! Sands and substantial rocks. I may be able to add those today thanks to my gap in work seemingly increasing. On the plus side, I effectively got paid to toy about in Terragen again.  ;D

ajcgi

[attachthumb=#]

Right I've added in some possibly over-subtle sand, mainly on the right, and loads of little stones. Will work on larger rocks later on I reckon. Perhaps a custom obj or two is in order. ;)
I've been told this looks like a close up on a lovely chocolate cake. Perhaps... perhaps that's what it is. ;)

ajcgi

[attachthumb=#]

Ok, added some larger obj rocks and a planet far off. Thinking the hero rock in the foreground is needing some work though. It's a bit smooth and incongruent with the rest of the landscape.

Henry Blewer

Your hero rock is a bit too smooth. But it will fit when you get the displacements setup correctly. I don't know if the planet fits well; it sort of looks like a circle has been processed into the image.

You could use Intersect underlaying / displacement intersection to smooth the ridges out on the flat areas of the foreground.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T