Getting there....

Started by red_planet, April 04, 2007, 11:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red_planet

The rain had passed....the sun was setting....looked like it was going to be a nice evening...

But where ?

C&C welcome

Love n Stuff

Chris

dhavalmistry

the terrain is too dark...almost no detail......try adding some light source

atmosphere and clouds (try adding more quality samples to clouds) look great!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

I like your clouds and the setting and the lighting.  I'd find a way to make the terrain more interesting and detailed.  Add some fake stones and/or plants.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

It looks like you've disabled the enviro light and/or GI completely - try adding those back in (if that doesn't cause the water to crash the render).  Once we can see the terrain, a little bit of texturing would go a long way.  As for the sky, I like the clouds you've got, but I think that maybe some thin clouds or a hazy planet (if you're going for realism we can call it the moon :P) would help there.  Overall, though, the perspective and colors of this scene have great potential.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

red_planet

Thanks for comments....

I know it's dark...partly intentional.

I like to see what happens without tweaking too much, vanilla lights and all that. At the distance to the land over the water, there would be very little detail, besides, if I showed all the detail it would be too easy to guess where it is !! I was more interested in getting the clouds right in this one... hence the title of the post  ;).

I will be experimenting with it over the next few days, if I "get anywhere" I'l post an update.

Rgds

Chris

Oshyan

I kind of like the darker terrain and general lighting as-is. In fact I think in the real world if you exposed for the sky during a sunrise you might get a similar effect since most of the landscape is still in heavy shadow and the sky is probably darker than normal daylight, thus providing less indirect light to the landscape. Granted the sky looks bright in this case and one might expect more indirect light than is apparent, but in photography this could easily be the result of simply underexposing the landscape in order to properly capture the sky.

Anyway the end result is pretty nice IMO. Very peaceful, simple scene.

- Oshyan

Harvey Birdman

I'm with Oshyan - I think the dimly lit terrain looks perfectly realistic. Very pretty.

rcallicotte

Yeah, I agree with Harvey.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

sonshine777

Count me in, I'm with calico.  Who's with Harvey. Who's with Oshyan ;D ;D

dhavalmistry

wow....I didnt knew you guys hated me this much....lol  :D ;D >:( ;)
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

old_blaggard

Don't worry dhavalmistry, if they hate you they hate me too, and, as everyone knows, misery loves company :D.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

sonshine777

Sorry guys, I was just got caught up in the moment. No offence I hope? :)

mr-miley

Nice render. I love the lighting, and I think it looks pretty realistic. From these sort of distances, I don't think you'd see much more than this anyway detail-wise. The clouds are cool too. I would say that you could try adding some high level whispy Cirrus clouds, just a bit though.

Gues that puts me on Oshyans "side"  ;D and dhavalmistry... no one hates you..... well, not too much.... OK so we all hate you and old_blaggard and we are just too polite to say so....  ;D  ;D  ;D

Only joking ;)
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

old_blaggard

Quote from: mr-miley on April 06, 2007, 06:05:31 AM
OK so we all hate you and old_blaggard and we are just too polite to say so....  ;D  ;D  ;D

*Sniffle* :P:P:D:D

red_planet

This is where it ended up....so far..

Pure TGTP.. no post pro...(apart from compressing to jpeg  :) )

more experimentation due...

Rgds

Chris