Software

Started by rcallicotte, April 04, 2007, 12:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

What does anyone know about this site?  http://www.software-cheap.net/

I'm worried about getting something, using it to make money, and then find out it's hot or illegal.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Njen

$129 for Maya Unlimited?!

Sounds like a scam to me...From the website:
"We minimize our overhead by stocking mostly top selling software only and try to get the best deals for them. We also sell what are called OEM versions, the same software as the box version without the box and the manual."

It is my understanding that Autodesk to not have OEM versions of their Maya and Max software, so it can not be legitimate, or maybe I am wrong?

[Edit]
From the FAQ:
"Can I receive automatic updates of the programs?
Even though you are not able to register the product online you will be able to receive automatic updates of the most programs. When updates are ready to install you will see a popup window or an icon at the right bottom corner of your screen. Then you have to click on the icon and follow the instructions."

If you can't register the product you bought with the company that makes the software, then it's not a legitimate license. Period.

Oshyan

Waaaay too good to be true. I definitely wouldn't trust it. Even if the OEM prices are valid - which seems *highly* unlikely - OEM licenses have specific terms, usually including that they must be sold *with hardware* or the license (and thus the price) is invalid.

- Oshyan

Njen

Looks like they don't really check their own data:

http://www.software-cheap.net/info-Autodesk_3ds_Max_8.html

They listed the amount you apparently save on this product as -$116.95. Yes that's a 'minus'.

rcallicotte

LOL.  The retail price is $3.00!!!  LOL.

Oh well. 

Anyone want to sell a legal version of 3DS Max 7.0 or above?   ;D

Quote from: njen on April 04, 2007, 01:22:25 PM
Looks like they don't really check their own data:

http://www.software-cheap.net/info-Autodesk_3ds_Max_8.html

They listed the amount you apparently save on this product as -$116.95. Yes that's a 'minus'.

Will

Hey think I should contact autodesk about this?

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

I wonder sometimes if it matters, since in Russia (where most of these places are from, if this is one of them) they have less strict attention to software licenses than maybe the UK or the USA.  They might even already know and not be able to stop them.

Quote from: Will on April 04, 2007, 05:02:39 PM
Hey think I should contact autodesk about this?

Regards,

Will

Will

true but I guess its worth a try, expeially since they are ripping both the cunsurmer and autodesk off.

Regards,

Will

rcallicotte

Hey, Will.  1001.  A magic number of some sort, I'm certain.

8)

dhavalmistry

I wouldnt trust it....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Njen

Quote from: calico on April 04, 2007, 07:38:17 PM
I wonder sometimes if it matters, since in Russia (where most of these places are from, if this is one of them) they have less strict attention to software licenses than maybe the UK or the USA.  They might even already know and not be able to stop them.

If you do a whois on the domain, it's registered in North America.

rcallicotte

Interesting.  As avid these companies are against piracy, why haven't these same powerful companies (Microsoft, Adobe, Autodesk, etc.) shut them down?  I remember working in one institution where someone accidentally put some sofware online and Adobe found out about it.  The institution ended up paying a pretty hefty fine.  If they're watching that closely, why not this?  I find that weird.

Will

I know what you mean, weird huh.

Regards,

Will

king_tiger_666

you would think that maya being as expensive as it is 7000$ etc would have a usb dongle to go with it.... I worked with some GPR software and the university only had 1 or 2 licences you needed the dongle to run the program but could install on like 10 pcs.

the hosting company is also in the usa for that site.... seems like a pay per download warez site in a way.

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

Njen

Expensice 3D software used to have dongles, but they caused more problems than not many times. I can't count how many times our Max dongles would randomly fail during normal use thoughout the day one post production company I worked at for 2 years (it was all legit).

The industry eventually began to convince the software makers to use software only keys instead. Sure both can be cracked, but if a software license fails for unexplained reasons, you don't have to send a piece of hardware back to the software makers like you would have had to do with dongles. Turn around relating to key failures are much faster to resolve when it's all software.