Export LWO Resolution?

Started by petergrealy, June 17, 2011, 06:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petergrealy

Hi,

A really dumb question: Can anyone enlighten me as to how to control the density/resolution of an exported LWO mesh? Quote from Oshyan; "You can reduce the resolution if needed by reducing the pixel resolution in the Heightfeild Generate node" Can anyone elaborate exactly where this "pixel resolution" dialog box is? (I using a Heightfeild load node from .ter file too)

Thx

DutchDimension

I'm guessing Oshyan meant 'Number of Points'. It's the second attribute in the 'Heightfield generate' node. Right underneath the 'Enable' tick box.
The two numerical value boxes representing X & Z pixel densities.

Tangled-Universe

I think you're mixing up two concepts here:

1) "how to control the density/resolution of an exported LWO mesh?" relates to exporting geometry from TG2.
If you want to export geometry you need to calculate the mesh at rendertime and thus render the actual image.
The detail setting controls the amount of subdivisions the renderer uses to calculate the terrain.
The more subdivisions the more triangles and thus the denser the mesh.

Usually with a detail setting of 0.3-0.4 you already get a very dense mesh.
You'd need to experiment with this a bit to see what fits your needs.

(btw, if you use this then you don't need any GI/lighting/atmosphere so you can disable all of those for superquick renders)

2) the quote from Oshyan explains on how you can control resolution in a TG 2 generated heightfield.
DutchDimension just explained to you where you can do that.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Cheers,
Martin

petergrealy

Thanks for the feedback...yes I am a little confused. Maybe I should have clarified this a little better....I'm trying to export (non camera dependant) geometry created from a Heightfeild Load node (.ter file exported from Global Mapper), which I've added a "Heightfield Export LWO" node to. In the Load Heightfeild node the "Read from file" box is checked so any value I put into the "Number of Points" box has no effect. Do I have to go back to Global Mapper and change the resolution of the .ter file there?

Cheers

Matt

You can use a Heightfield Resize node to resample the data to a lower resolution.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

petergrealy

Oshyan

Just to clarify, my quote was taken out of context but was intended to refer to controlling the resolution of geometry for a Heightfield Export LWO being driven by a Heightfield Generate which is used to rasterize a shader input.

- Oshyan