Creating a Tower Tutorial

Started by schmeerlap, June 20, 2011, 07:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmeerlap

Quote from: TheBadger on August 06, 2011, 04:20:54 AM
(seeds and everything)

Hi TheBadger
Checked your tgd. Change the seed of the large displacement power fractal to 14795 (as per my tut) and you'll have the same displacement as me.
To clear up the placement of the small displacement power fractal . It should be inserted after the large displacement power fractal as per the node network I've attached below.
You should now be ready to continue with the tutorial.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

TheBadger

Thanks John! Your a cool dude 8) Cant believe I missed that though! Feel good and stupid now, better stop working so late ;)
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Hey John, Everything is great now!

I just want to trouble you with one more question please.
I would like my towers to not be so tall, rather somewhere around 100-200 meters. When I change the crater depth/diameter the tower shrinks, but some strange stuff happens too. For example, the render may cut off part of the image, or the render will not look like the preview. This does not seem to happen in your file though. Other than that, should I be changing all of my related settings, strata, distribution shader and so on to match the new depth?

Thanks
It has been eaten.

schmeerlap

Hi TheBadger

Yeh, everything is relative. If you reduce the size (diameter/depth) of the inverse crater by say a factor of 10 you'll also have to decrease your displacements proportionally. You will experience render problems from time to time with extreme displacements.
If you click on Objects>Planet01 (the default planet) you'll see a paramater at the bottom called Displacement Tolerance which is set to a default of 1. You could try increasing that tolerance to accommodate bigger displacements. This may help to a degree, but will also increase your render time.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

DannyG

Nice tutorial John, like Mcduff I learned alot. A few little distorted issues to fix in the foreground detail. But heres my shot @ it
Thanks
Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Henry Blewer

Nice one Danny. I like the atmosphere and the two moons.

This method works well for many landscape features.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

DannyG

Thks Henry, you are correct, going through the tutorials step by step approach really opens your mind of all kinds of possibilities. It sheds alot of light on many images I have seen with similar displacements
Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Quote from: schmeerlap on June 20, 2011, 07:42:11 AM

It is aimed at beginners.
I'll create a link to it on the Terragen Wiki page, and at ReRo tuts for the few still interested in Terragen2 there.

John

There's still some of us there, and we now have TG2 comps as well as Terragen Classic ones John.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Another great tute btw....well done. ..  ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: DannyGordon on December 16, 2011, 10:40:40 AM
Nice tutorial John, like Mcduff I learned alot. A few little distorted issues to fix in the foreground detail. But heres my shot @ it
Thanks
Danny
That's an awesome sky/atmo Danny, in addition to a great experiment with the tute......
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New