Image Rotation Issue

Started by AP, June 26, 2011, 09:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Hello, i have a 1024 by 1024 image map of a planet texture i am using. I get the coordinates and spherical projection part but the texture has larger then normal poles and when i import it into terragen i am directly looking down at the pole. How do i go about rotating the image map?

Dune

I had the impression that spherical planet maps always had a different size ratio (2:1), instead of square.... but did you try the transform shader (it now has world key value). Or feed it through a shader array, with large enough area. Hope this helps you out.

Tangled-Universe

I too would guess the transform shader could be of help.
Let us know how it goes, please.

Cheers,
Martin

freelancah

Dune is right. Spherical map should be in the format of 2:1  Otherwise it wont align correctly and truly cover 360x180 degrees without major stretching and distortion. You might wanna do a search for "equirectangular map" to see how they normally look

PabloMack

Quote from: ChrisC on June 26, 2011, 09:51:50 PM
How do i go about rotating the image map?

To directly answer this question, TG2 can't rotate image maps. You have to rotate the image by editing the image itself. What you want to do is something that should be added to TG2 at some point in the future.

AP

Quote from: PabloMack on June 27, 2011, 04:55:36 PM
Quote from: ChrisC on June 26, 2011, 09:51:50 PM
How do i go about rotating the image map?

To directly answer this question, TG2 can't rotate image maps. You have to rotate the image by editing the image itself. What you want to do is something that should be added to TG2 at some point in the future.

That really blows my mind with such a basic function lacking in a program like this. On to another project then.

Matt

You can rotate images using the Transform Shader, but I agree that we should put rotation controls on the Image Map Shader.

To use the Transform Shader, connect the Image Map Shader the Transform Shader's 'shader' input, not its first input. It will be easiest if you use 0,0,0 for the position in the Image Map Shader, then reposition it using the 'translate' parameter in the Transform Shader. This is so that rotation can occur before positioning, as the other way around is quite a headache.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on June 27, 2011, 08:42:19 PM
You can rotate images using the Transform Shader, but I agree that we should put rotation controls on the Image Map Shader.

To use the Transform Shader, connect the Image Map Shader the Transform Shader's 'shader' input, not its first input. It will be easiest if you use 0,0,0 for the position in the Image Map Shader, then reposition it using the 'translate' parameter in the Transform Shader. This is so that rotation can occur before positioning, as the other way around is quite a headache.
Thanks Matt...a very useful mini tute for those of us, colour blind and otherwise, who use a lot of image maps. I've been making rotated copies till now which really jacks up the size of my images dir.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist