Gorge *v2 on page 2*

Started by Tangled-Universe, June 29, 2011, 11:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Blewer

It really is quite wonderful.
I don't understand why it would take so much ram. Was this from the number of threads used by the CPU? If so, it's something I will need to consider for my machine.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: njeneb on July 05, 2011, 02:56:40 PM
It really is quite wonderful.
I don't understand why it would take so much ram. Was this from the number of threads used by the CPU? If so, it's something I will need to consider for my machine.

It's a combination of things like renderdetail, AA, GI and resolution. All are pretty high. Also I used 8 populations, though that's not that much actually, but it are quite some instances.
I rendered it with 8 threads, believe cache was set to 3200, but not pre-allocated for sure. It adds to the RAM-usage of course and I think I could have used 1600 or 800 even.
That could potentially shave off a GB or 2 - 2.5.
I have 16GB RAM now.

Kadri

Maybe it is the same old symptom: New very fast machine but more and better things crammed that wasn't used before  :)
My render times are mostly not much better then 15 years ago. But the scenes are much more realistic now of course .

I like the last render , Martin !

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Kadri on July 05, 2011, 03:32:09 PM

Maybe it is the same old symptom: New very fast machine but more and better things crammed that wasn't used before  :)
My render times are mostly not much better then 15 years ago. But the scenes are much more realistic now of course .

I like the last render , Martin !

Ghehe, so true, I have it now for well over a week and still end up with long rendertimes :) But I render during night and if it isn't finished in the morning then it will be finished when I come back from work. I don't mind :)
Especially during design process it's fantastic to have a faster machine. It's less of a drag and much more fun because you can make progress a lot quicker!

I'm glad you like it, thanks!

inkydigit

this one is the business!
awesome to the max!

Oshyan

Hmm, the grasses on the higher cliffs look a bit odd. Otherwise it's generally an improvement over previous versions.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Thanks guys?

Oshyan, what's odd about it?

Oshyan

Er, they look more like hair than grass I guess? Too... "fuzzy". Hard to describe properly. Maybe also too long and/or dark/saturated coloring? Again, hard to put my finger on it. Just doesn't look quite right to my eye. But it may just be me. ;)

- Oshyan

choronr

Lighting is everything. if you notice the bush at lower right, it is perfect. The shaded ones don't share the same quality, most likely due to the lighting on them.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on July 06, 2011, 02:21:36 AM
Er, they look more like hair than grass I guess? Too... "fuzzy". Hard to describe properly. Maybe also too long and/or dark/saturated coloring? Again, hard to put my finger on it. Just doesn't look quite right to my eye. But it may just be me. ;)

- Oshyan

Well, I think Bob is a bit more accurate about the issue and it is indeed a bit of you ;)
The shading is anything but dark and saturated, nor did I add any of those in post.
I can see what you mean with hairy, but this is just what you see when you see a lot of grasses on mid-range to far away if you'd ask me.

Quote from: choronr on July 06, 2011, 02:26:06 AM
Lighting is everything. if you notice the bush at lower right, it is perfect. The shaded ones don't share the same quality, most likely due to the lighting on them.

I agree.

In my opinion it is too hard in TG2 to get the balancing act right between directly lit parts of terrain objects and indirect lighted or shaded parts.
The buildup in shadow darkness over distance is too strong for instance.
Like you mentioned you can have a nicely lit bush/tree in direct lighting but it is very likely, even with GI=2 or >2, that it won't look the same, or better said as expected, in the shade.
You can get it right, but the error-tolerance in settings is very very tight.
Maybe with 1 or 2 extra recursions in the renderer the lighting could be more easily balanced as shadows will be defined/filled better which would perhaps save countless hours of fine-tuning for texture diffuse colour, transparency and reflectivity.

choronr

Consider for a moment we had the ability to make those distant bushes of the same quality as the one on the lower right - in my opinion, those distant bushes still wouldn't look right. When objects are in shadow, they just won't display detail. Those things in full light draw our first attention.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: choronr on July 06, 2011, 02:59:40 AM
Consider for a moment we had the ability to make those distant bushes of the same quality as the one on the lower right - in my opinion, those distant bushes still wouldn't look right. When objects are in shadow, they just won't display detail. Those things in full light draw our first attention.

Yes that's correct. I realize/know there's less detail in the shadow, but still I find it very difficult to get the shading right. It always has a strange hue in the shadows. I see that in everyone's images here.