Woodland toyings

Started by ajcgi, June 29, 2011, 01:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajcgi

Ok, have now added a fair amount of vegetation. So much so I had to start switching things off that are no longer seen.  ;D I've ditched the DOF effect for now.

[attach=#]

freelancah

Henry Blewer

This has really become much better. I would try a large render with detail 0.5 and AA 4. This will be good enough to see if there is more to be tweaked without eyestrain.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

ajcgi

Well after some higher resolution rendering I upped the ante on the tree bark texture which was somewhat dark for the situation, dimmed down the castle a bit considering it's mostly in shadow, and a few other bits and bobs.
Scaled it back down, to pass it through my photoshop file, cloned out a few stray branches and the like. Also brightened up the greenery as it was very dark.

[attach=#]

dandelO

I think you've really given Edinburgh Castle a much nicer setting than the current one we have in real life. i.e. I can't see one alcoholic, junky or even a single artsy-fartsy-jazz-dancing-juggler-poet in any of these shots! ;)

Nice model-from-photo job! :)

Henry Blewer

Quote from: dandelO on July 14, 2011, 08:54:30 PM
I think you've really given Edinburgh Castle a much nicer setting than the current one we have in real life. i.e. I can't see one alcoholic, junky or even a single artsy-fartsy-jazz-dancing-juggler-poet in any of these shots! ;)

Nice model-from-photo job! :)

That's what is missing. ??? You're right, all the travel shots I have seen of this castle has odd people doing odd things.

Oshyan

This is really looking great at this point. No real crits remaining from me. Very nice. :)

- Oshyan

ajcgi

Having looked at this again on a cheapy dell monitor at work the midtones seem slightly too bright. Anyone else think it looks a tad washed out in the foreground? Wondering if maybe my monitor at home is slightly over the top on gamma correction compared to this one here.

Kadri

Quote from: ajcgi on July 20, 2011, 10:58:10 AM
Having looked at this again on a cheapy dell monitor at work the midtones seem slightly too bright. Anyone else think it looks a tad washed out in the foreground? Wondering if maybe my monitor at home is slightly over the top on gamma correction compared to this one here.

It looks at my monitor the same as you said.
I don't like this in general , but sometimes if the image is a good one like here , it kind of gives it a little too much exposed photo look. :)

ajcgi

Here's a version with a slightly crushed look compared to before. Looks ok on this Dell at least lol.

[attachthumb=#]

Henry Blewer

My Dell agrees. :D I agree with my Dell. ;) This has become a very cool project. Very nice work!

TheBadger

If you googled, house on a hill, and your image came up in the results, how many people would say, "Wait, thats not real?"
None, thats how many. 8)
It has been eaten.

ajcgi

Cheers for the comments. Just checked my colour settings here at home and both monitors had incorrect gamma setup. Now I've set these up better I can see the first image was way too light. Maybe Windows7 reset the calibration when I switched the monitors about not so long ago.  ???

AP

The vegetation from the distance looks photo real but up-close i can see the polygons. Add some displacement noise to the branches for that added touch then i think you can call this a done deal.