Indoor lighting

Started by Hannes, February 08, 2017, 07:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I wanted to share a very very simple room setup (in real world scale) for those who want to try some indoor lighting in TG.
My main goal is to show, that there is absolutely no need for additional lighting unless you have real additional lightsources in your scene like lamps or candles or whatever.
My lighting here is almost default. I increased the environment light (Strength on surfaces) to 1.5, and used increased GI settings (Detail/quality: 4/6). You can increase the environment light's multiplier even more (2 looks still good), if it's too dark for you, but you don't need stuff like second suns or things like that, if you want realistic lighting.
And GISD is on. I have the impression that many users don't use this. Especially the occlusion weight is crucial for scenes like this one in my opinion. Only DOF would be problematic when GISD is on, but that's a known issue.

Dune

That would be very handy for a lot of users, I guess. In fact, I might try something indoors one of these days. Thanks.

Hannes

Environment light Strength on surfaces set to 3 and soft shadows (diameter 1) enabled.

Hannes

Here is a little camera move just for fun.
Env. light at 3 as mentioned before, soft shadows off (render speed) and in Render/Tonemap: contrast 0.35 and Gamma corr. at 2.1.

bobbystahr

Totally cool thread Hannes...gonna play with this and learn.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Tku Hannes for sharing this.  ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

inkydigit

tyvm hannes!
:)
looks like a lot of fun!
:)

luvsmuzik

Again, oh WOW! You even include the room!
This is very good of you to do this. Thank you!

bobbystahr

Well that was a fun day finding all the models. 2 versions; mine with  the Tiffany Lamp lit up, and the Default lighting hannes used which works well and illustrates his point well...I just hadda y'know eh!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Thanks btw to Hannes for the scale reference, Lighting is a different thing at real world scale.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New